hi

>I looked at the problem again. Removing the mod-count improves
>concurrency when writing ACLs a lot (about 2 times faster with mongo
>and 20 threads). the read-performance does not suffer much with the
>current tests - but then the tests might not be accurate. the
>permission cache is only used to the everyone permissions, so it will
>show on systems with many of those.

i created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-1504 such that
can cover any kind of performance drop with benchmark test.

let's have some accurate test-setup that allows us to get reliable
figures if with and without that everyone cache and the concurrency
issues associated with the mod-count.

>bottom line: for now, I'll remove the everyone cache and the mod-count
>again. after the 1.0 release, we should review the permission store
>and handling.

i would appreciate if you could write the benchmark tests upfront such
that we can actually make any kind of statement wrt effect and potentially
decide on how to deal with it.

thanks a lot
angela