Hi Shane,

Agreed that CIBA is interesting in this context as an alternative to Device
Authorization Grant.

Having the user initiate the request makes it harder for an adversary to
manipulate the context, but I think it also shifts the point of attack. Now
instead of getting the user to enter a user code, you have to get the user to
enter their “user_hint”. This does put it on par with any regular phishing
attack (at least the attack did not become easier). I do think mitigations on
the back-end can help to further reduce the risks for both Device Authorization
Grant and CIBA.

Something else we may want to provide is some clear recommendations on when to
use CIBA vs Device Authorization Grant etc (e.g. use CIBA if the user can
provide input, use Device Authorization Grant if there is no input device). All
of this may seem obvious for experts familiar with this space, but being
explicit will help implementors who has expertise elsewhere.

From looking at various protocols, whenever we attempt to use the user as a
secure transport between their authentication device and the device on which
the service will be delivered, we open an opportunity for social engineering
attacks. Keeping that opening as small and constrained as possible and then
mitigating against errors in judgement will help the overall security posture.

Cheers

Pieter