Hi all,
We had a meeting today (notes here <https://hackmd.io/@rpc-sec-wg/HJNXYKkk0>)
in which we discussed the question of what we should do if there is no
incoming (external) token in the request to issue a Transaction Token
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-transaction-tokens/>
(TraT). We identified a few circumstances under which this can happen:

   - The requesting service is triggered by a non-OAuth based flow such as
   email or an internal trigger
   - The client of the requesting service uses means other than an access
   token to authorize the call (e.g. MTLS)

We identified a few possibilities listed below. Please note that the
Transaction Tokens draft assumes that the TraT Service trusts the
requesting service, so all the possibilities below assume this.

Here are some possibilities we discussed:

   1. *Request Details*: Put the subject information in the request_details
   parameter of the TraT request, and the subject_token value is set to "N_A"
   2. *Self-Signed Token*: The requester generates a self-signed JWT that
   has the subject information and puts that in the subject_token value
   3. *Separate Separate Endpoint*: The TraT service exposes a separate
   endpoint to issue TraTs when there is no incoming token, and that endpoint
   can be defined such that the request does not have a subject_token
   parameter. This endpoint is not a profile of OAuth Token Exchange
   4. *Separate Endpoint Only*: Extending the thought above, the requester
   can always extract the content of the incoming token into the
   "request_details" parameter, so why do we need the Token Exchange endpoint

We would like to understand how the group feels about these choices, or if
you have other suggestions / thoughts on this topic.

Thanks,
Atul

--

<https://sgnl.ai>