Hey all, I've been pretty quiet lately, but I'm still alive out
here!,lol. Well, I was scouring through the local trader paper this
morning, when I came across a guy selling A D7 Cat dozer for $3000,
great deal so I called on it, the dozer was sold, and we got to
talking, the conversation drifted to old Chevy's. Well, he tells me
he's got this 47 flatbed with a dump on it that's in need of
restoration, but he's just at a point he'd be happy to get rid of
it, I said "oh really?!" Thinking I just found the missing parts for
my 47 Loadmaster, I inquired further on it, He got to saying it
had "turret" headlamps and turn signals mounted to the grille, I
thought that odd for a 47, then he mentioned the old fold up cowl
type hood. Right then I knew it was definitely a pre 47 and he didnt
know it. I told him I'd look at it, hooked up the trailer pretty
much knowing I was going to snag it, and got down there. It is
indeed a rare bird. It has a diamond plate flatbed on it with a
hydraulic dump cylinder, powered by a remote PTO off the tranny with
an external chain drive linking the pto to the tranny. you can tell
by the setup and in cab levers that it is definitely a setup from
back in the day. The ID plate is located under the top of the cowl
hood on the right cowl side of the firewall and badly weathered, the
only thing readable was the stamping on it "GWB12" and "2683" The
engine block number can probably be cleaned up enough to read with a
file, but the battery located on the fight firewall above it has
corroded it pretty badly, I popped the valve cover and got "838773"
from the head, it looks to be a 216, with the full side plate over
the spark plugs & 2 center bolt valve cover. The dash has no
provision for a radio or a heater, and a single rectangle instrument
cluster. The windshield is 2 piece flat, with a center dash crank to
tilt it out, The grille has a cursive "Chevrolet" on top of it, the
rear axle is a lever and cable operated 2 speed. 5 lugs on front
with 10 lugs on rear. I ran the head number thru Hemming's site, it
came back 37-40. I ran it thru inliner's site, it came back 37, so,
I "think" it is a 37? I posted some pics of it under "37 Flatbed
with dump & PTO, if anyone can positively identify this rig to
anything better than what I have so far, I would certainly be
appreciative. I plan to restore it, with the body rebuilt as is, and
upgrade the engine and tranny, possibly even the suspension to add
shock absorbers and disc brakes, and make it into a flatbed tow
truck for my old projects.
-Chris
-And no, the fuel is too stale for it to "explode" Nate....lol

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links