  From: vwnate1
  To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 9:17 AM
  Subject: *Possible SPAM* [old-chevy-truck] Re: Maximum Ignition Timing Advance

  Steve ;

  That spec. is for the _mechanical_ advance part of your dizzy , most
  also have some vacuum advance plus of course the ball bearing timing
  mark is a few degrees BTDC .

  What you need to discren is : _total asvance , all in , of al the
  variables and this is easy so find , takes a specail tool though ~ a
  timing light with the advance dial on the back of it ~ I use a SEARS
  Crafstman inductive one I paid $50.00 for 20+ years ago and it's
  still going strong . I'm told they're on E-bay for abot $20.00 .

  Or , you can time it the way GM says to : warm it up and time it ,
  take a drive , on flat , lever road in top gear @ 35 MPH , tramp the
  foot feed to the floor ~ if you hear any ping , stop and retard the
  timing a tiny bit and try again ~ keep on doinf this untill the ping
  stops and you're good to go .

  It's simple , not rocket science , it looks yo me like you're
  makiing this way too complicated .

  -Nate
  --- In old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, "Steve"
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

  > Hello, all, I mentioned on a few accasions about the sometimes
  pinging
  > I would be getting when climbing grades, or accelerating too
  fast. I'm
  > using the Malory Unilite Electronic distributor---uses an infrared
  > sender and receiver. No more dwell, no more pitted burned braker
  > points, none of that no more, I've been happy with it for about a
  > year. I learned here, but for anyone out there who may also need
  > know here it is. I purchased the Unilite, I love it, everyone has
  an
  > LMC book its #36-2929. Works great. You all who always read know
  > have a little irk with a pinging issue.
  > I purchased at Oreily's the advace curve kit, don't think LMC has
  it.
  > It comes with the various springs you can readjust the advance
  curves
  > to however you likings, I'm not messing with that. I'm not that
  > smart. But also it comes with the keys to adjust the maximam
  amount of
  > advance you are getting. LMC article says Malory has calibrated
  it for
  > the curves for normal driving conditions (springs). Yet I found
  that
  > you must yourself adjust the max on the advancement of time
  yourself.
  > The LMC book & Malory stuff with the Unilite doesn't inform you of
  that.
  > I guess maybe I'm just not the smartest, I know a lot of people
  know a
  > lot more than me, but I try. My shop manual has specs for
  mechanical
  > advance of the distributor--it had a vacuum unit on the original,
  so I
  > guess the original did both vacuum and some mechanical advance.
  The
  > mechanical advance in the specs says 12 to 14 degrees max of
  > crankshaft whatever. Well the unilite has adjustment screws and
  the
  > kit advance kit has the keys to set the proper mechanical advance
  based
  > on my specs. My specs say 12-14 degrees. The Unilite was maxed
  out all
  > the way to 0 degrees. They don't calibrate and adjust this for
  you.
  > So it could advance way further than it is supposed to according
  to my
  > shop manual specs. I had to pull it out to loosen the hold down
  screws
  > for the advance plate, unfortionatly. One seemed to feel about
  100
  > foot pounds tight. Whatever, they appeared with my glasses on to
  be
  > 3/16 allen screws----so said Malory after a phone call, this tight
  > screw. But found it was these crappy torx screws used for the
  hold
  > down 8-32, real small. Don't rely on who you call for info.
  Anyway
  > the adjustment is made, I only have to put it in tomorrow, it will
  > advance at least 50% less than it was, you know I have been
  mentioning
  > the pinging thing in a few prior articles. I will soon see, and
  so far
  > I think I may have solved my own problem. Anyway, I'm boring, but
  this
  > is out there for everyone to see. Steve --
  > ColumbusGA,FtBenningGA,PhenixCity,AL----59 Fleetside Apache 235

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links