Hi,

I've tried to report this JavaFX problem to the OpenJDK project (
https://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/ ), unfortunately I don’t have an account
there. And the report of me as a guest wasn’t accepted. That’s why I’m trying
to use this mailing list.

Bug description:

Since updating to macOS Catalina the text rendering is broken in all JavaFX
contrals which render text (labels, text areas, buttons, menu items etc.). This
behavior is new since macOS 10.15 Catalina, it worked perfectly in macOS
10.14.x and before.
The rendered text is still readable, but looks very blurred. And it looks like
vertical pixel lines are completely missing in the displayed text.

This error occurs when using a non-Retina (HiDPI) display, e.g. a MacBook Air
with the 1440x900 resolution or an external typical FullHD display (e.g. 24"
1920x1080). Only when using a HiDPI / Retina display, then the rendered text
looks fine. Unfortunately many / most people are still using non-Retina
external displays.

Test environment:

* OS: macOS 10.15.2
* Java: OpenJDK 11.0.5 (AdaptOpenJDK), OpenJDK 13.0.1 (AdoptOpenJDK), OpenJDK
14 EA Build 28 (2019/12/18)
* JavaFX: OpenJFX 11.0.2, OpenJFX 13.0.1, OpenJFX 14-ea+6
* Display: Dell 24" 1920x1200, MacBook Air (2013) 1440x900

The same problem exists in all combinations.

How to reproduce (example):

* Install and launch SceneBuilder (tested with 11.0.0 from
https://gluonhq.com/products/scene-builder/ )
* Open an FXML file or create a new one
* Display Info dialog (Help > About Scene Builder)

Screenshots of the About Dialog:

* NonRetina (broken):
https://www.saring.de/openjfx-bugreport/SceneBuilder_About-NonRetina.png
<https://www.saring.de/openjfx-bugreport/SceneBuilder_About-NonRetina.png>
  (e.g. in line „The default configuration")
* Retina (OK):
https://www.saring.de/openjfx-bugreport/SceneBuilder_About-Retina.png
<https://www.saring.de/openjfx-bugreport/SceneBuilder_About-Retina.png>

Best regards,