I've recently run into JDK-8149134: when a Text node has been added to a
TextFlow, the Text node's selectionStart and selectionEnd properties are
interpreted relative to the whole TextFlow rather than the individual span,
which means that a selectionFill color may be applied in the wrong place. This
prevents rich-text controls implementing the same text-selection appearance as
regular TextAreas.

The bug was originally reported against JavaFX 8 but the relevant code appears
to behave identically in the current git master.

I'd like to get this fixed -- it looks like a fairly simple task, as the JBS
report already identifies a solution (and I suspect the implementation can be
simplified, since the Text.spanOffset function added in the JBS draft patch
appears to be recalculating information already available from
TextRun.getStart).

Is anyone already working on this? If not, would it be appropriate at this
point for me to update the patch, add tests, and open a PR, or is further
discussion required first?

Thanks,

-- Will