I can only second this.

If anything, the proposal highlights several fundamental problems in current JavaFX by how it is trying to work around them. The work around works for one area (key events) but does not address similar problems for other events. The work around will also further cement these problems making them harder to address in the future.

I'll reiterate what I think are more fundamental issues that should be addressed:

1. Behaviors/Skins/Controls should not be hijacking events for their own purposes before the user has their say in their handling. If the user is not consuming the event (at any level), only then should it fall back to defaults. The reason why it currently works this way is because the public infrastructure for event handling is being used by Skin and Behavior implementations; this infrastructure however by its nature is a first come first serve system (unlike listeners), which makes it risky to share with users unless measures are taken to ensure there are no visible side effects of this sharing.  Effectively this also means Skins and Behaviors can *never* add a new event handler, or even a key mapping without risking breaking existing apps. Even consuming a new event in an existing handler, or changing its consumption pattern can cause breakage as it currently stands.

2. Separation of Behaviors and Skins. Even for complex controls this is possible, if there is a willingness to do so. This will open up far easier extension of the FX platform where the choice is not to either throw away all behavior and implement everything yourself, or hope you can sufficiently hack the existing skin (which were never designed for extension) to suit your needs.

3. Provide rock solid control primitives, and provide the infrastructure to build more complicated controls. I should be able to copy/paste any FX control, give it a new name, and then have it behave exactly as the original in all respects.  This may mean opening up (or more likely, evaluating and partially redesigning) certain private API's (like focus traversal).

I feel strongly that these would provide far more value currently, and, as these are all aspects that can't be addressed easily by 3rd parties or be worked around, only FX developers can solve these.

As far as the proposal is concerned, I feel that it is taking a giant leap towards a perceived solution for an X/Y type problem. I think we should be making far smaller incremental changes and fixes, and seeing what those bring.  This may eventually lead to an InputMap type system, but it could also lead to a place where the issue to provide it has become less urgent, giving us time to address other more fundamental problems.

--John