On Aug 16, 2010, at 00:13, Jonathan Edwards wrote:

>> All companies who were working with
>> OpenSolaris/Solaris are invited to
>> join this movement and liberate OpenSolaris.
>
> but how do we liberate the source from the CDDL?
> that still seems like it could be a bit of a problem
> if the original license steward (Sun => Oracle) decides
> to change the terms of the license, and/or if the
> larger community does not trust or approve of the
> actions taken by the license steward

While you are correct that the license for future releases can be changed,
there's no way to retrospectively change the terms for code already released.
In the (in my view unlikely) event Oracle changed the CDDL, or (more likely)
released future code under a different licence that was incompatible with the
existing terms, Illumos would simply have to carry on as an independent project
without the benefit of being able to downstream changes when the code is thrown
over the wall each release.

S.