On 01/24/2018 02:25 PM, David Shrewsbury wrote:
This is a (the?) killer feature.

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:33 AM, James E. Blair <cor...@inaugust.com <mailto:cor...@inaugust.com>> wrote:

    Hi,

    We recently introduced a new URL-based syntax for Depends-On: footers
    in commit messages:

       Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/535851
    <https://review.openstack.org/535851>

    The old syntax will continue to work for a while, but please begin using
    the new syntax on new changes.

    Why are we changing this?  Zuul has grown the ability to interact with
    multiple backend systems (Gerrit, GitHub, and plain Git so far), and we
    have extended the cross-repo-dependency feature to support multiple
    systems.  But Gerrit is the only one that uses the change-id syntax.
    URLs, on the other hand, are universal.

    That means you can write, as in https://review.openstack.org/535541
    <https://review.openstack.org/535541>, a
    commit message such as:

       Depends-On:
    https://github.com/ikalnytskyi/sphinxcontrib-openapi/pull/17
    <https://github.com/ikalnytskyi/sphinxcontrib-openapi/pull/17>

    Or in a Github pull request like
    https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/20974
    <https://github.com/ansible/ansible/pull/20974>, you can write:

       Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/536159
    <https://review.openstack.org/536159>

    But we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves here -- we're just getting
    started with Gerrit <-> GitHub dependencies and we haven't worked
    everything out yet.  While you can Depends-On any GitHub URL, you can't
    add any project to required-projects yet, and we need to establish a
    process to actually report on GitHub projects.  But cool things are
    coming.

    We will continue to support the Gerrit-specific syntax for a while,
    probably for several months at least, so you don't need to update the
    commit messages of changes that have accumulated precious +2s.  But do
    please start using the new syntax now, so that we can age the old syntax
    out.

    There are a few differences in using the new syntax:

    * Rather than copying the change-id from a commit message, you'll need
       to get the URL from Gerrit.  That means the dependent change already
       needs to be uploaded.  In some complex situations, this may mean that
       you need to amend an existing commit message to add in the URL later.

       If you're uploading both changes, Gerrit will output the URL when you
       run git-review, and you can copy it from there.  If you are
    looking at
       an existing change in Gerrit, you can copy the URL from the permalink
       at the top left of the page.  Where it says "Change 535855 - Needs
       ..." the change number itself is the permalink of the change.

Is the permalink the only valid format here for gerrit? Or does the fully
expanded link also work. E.g.,

    Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/536540

versus

    Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536540/

The fully expanded one works too. See:

  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520812/

for an example of a patch with expanded links.