On 10/14/2014 03:50 PM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 03:25:56PM -0400, Jay Pipes wrote:
I think the above strategy is spot on. Unfortunately, that's not how the
Docker ecosystem works.

I'm not sure I agree here, but again nobody is forcing you to use this
tool.

I know that. I'm not slamming Docker. I'm trying to better understand the Docker and Kubernetes systems.

operating system that the image is built for. I see you didn't respond to my
point that in your openstack-containers environment, you end up with Debian
*and* Fedora images, since you use the "official" MySQL dockerhub image. And
therefore you will end up needing to know sysadmin specifics (such as how
network interfaces are set up) on multiple operating system distributions.

I missed that part, but ideally you don't *care* about the
distribution in use.  All you care about is the application.  Your
container environment (docker itself, or maybe a higher level
abstraction) sets up networking for you, and away you go.

If you have to perform system administration tasks inside your
containers, my general feeling is that something is wrong.

I understand that general feeling, but system administration tasks like debugging networking issues or determining and grepping log file locations or diagnosing packaging issues for OpenStack services or performing database logfile maintenance and backups don't just go away because you're using containers, right? If there are multiple operating systems in use in these containers, it makes the life of an admin more cumbersome, IMO.

I guess all I'm saying is that, from what I can tell, Docker and Kubernetes and all the application/service-centric worldviews are cool and all, but they very much seem to be developed from the point of view of application developers, and not so much from the point of view of operators who need to maintain and support those applications.

I'm still super-interested in the topic, just thought I'd point that out.

Best,
-jay