On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:09:01PM +0000, Sandy Walsh wrote:
> From: Ewan Mellor [ewan.mel...@eu.citrix.com]
> > To your point about the boundary of preservation of ID, that's a good
> > question.  If you ignore the security / trust issues, then the obvious
> > answer is that IDs should be globally, infinitely, permanently unique.
> > That's what UUIDs are for.  We can generate these randomly without any need
> > for a central authority, and with no fear of collisions.  It would
> > certainly be nice if my VM can leave my SoftLayer DC and arrive in my
> > Rackspace DC and when it comes back I still know that it's the same VM.
> > That's the OpenStack dream, right?
>
> Hmm, I may have been swayed against UNC. Routing and caching can still be
> layered on a UUID without having to parse it.

"If you ignore the security / trust issues..." but we can't ignore
them, so UUIDs alone are sufficient. Do we want this namespace per
zone, deployment, resource owner, or some other dimension?

I see the cases against per-zone with RHEL licensing, but pvo does
give an acceptable workaround. Besides that, I guess I don't see the
value in permanent instances. Tools, billing, etc. should work with a
changing working set. Having said that, I'd be ok with any of those as
namespace boundaries (although auth/owner gets nasty with federation),
as long as we have *something*.

-Eric