On Mon, Jun 02, 2014 at 02:52:15AM +0000, Lee Calcote (lecalcot) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What support does Ceilometer provide today and what support is planned to
> provide for financial management? While Ceilometer provides functionality
> for *metering* and *billing integration* as two categories of financial
> management, does it provide for others (e.g. *pricing* - a method to set
> prices on common objects)? I consider that financial management breaks
> into these categories (and quite possibly others):

The main goal of ceilometer is metering, and from what I understand
all the billing processing is not something that fit or will in this
project.

> Is support for these other categories planned for Ceilometer or other
> components? Have these use cases been successfully provided for in
> Ceilometer to date or have they yet to be achieved -
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Ceilometer/blueprints/support-for-advance-s
> ervice-billing-models?

We've started some work around the question, the project is hosted on
stackforge : https://github.com/stackforge/cloudkitty
Our main goal at the moment is to create reports with billing
informations. Everything is gathered directly from ceilometer.

In a near future we want to add the pricing informations directly in
horizon.

At the moment we're not addressing accounting/financial management
functions.

We've only really worked on what we needed to implement. We would be
happy to hear about your use cases to see where the project should head.