Various good points made by Peter, Zack, and Diana. Let me add just a few
comments.

Zack asks, “Would he really so carefully preserve them, and then desire to keep
them utterly unseen and unappreciated after his death, until they rotted away?”
I think the answer is clearly “no”, because he took great care to fold his
artwork from archival papers, and packed them carefully; his intention was more
likely that they would be appreciated, displayed, and cared for and that they
would NOT rot away. And no one I know of suggests “the idea that he regarded
these carefully preserved works as things to be thrown away in the trash.”
That’s a straw man argument. Rather than intending that they be thrown away, he
intended that they be preserved forever in their original condition. And having
seen the quality of his artwork today that he’d folded 30 or more years ago,
he’s likely to get his wish.

But his desire that his body of work be preserved and displayed is not the same
as desiring that others could fold approximations of them. In the world of
painting, an artist may want his or her artwork preserved and displayed, but
not want paint-by-number versions of them made available.

We don’t know, and can’t possibly know, why Yoshizawa refrained from
diagramming his most impressive works. It could be, as Zack suggests, that he
wanted to keep some secrets (and I think that motivation probably played
something of a role). It could also be that he felt that even with
instructions, no one could fold those works as well as he could, and he didn’t
want to see poor folded versions of his children.

Yoshizawa left his body of work to be managed by his widow, Mrs. Kiyo
Yoshizawa. Really, all that we know for sure about his wishes was that he
delegated to *her* how his legacy and artwork was to be handled. And I can say
from my limited experience via participating in the book “Akira Yoshizawa:
Japan’s Greatest Origami Master”
(https://www.origamiusa.org/catalog/products/akira-yoshizawa ) she takes a very
active and firm role in determining what may or may not be done with respect to
his artwork.

My participation was writing a foreword; in the foreword I described the
process of reverse-engineering his Cicada from a CP and step folds that he sent
to Gershon Legman back in the early 1960s, which were provided to me by Laura
Rozenberg, from the collection of her origami museum in Uruguay. Reading
between the lines of translated missives discussing the foreword and my
requests to her to show additional imagery, Mrs. Y did not seem thrilled with
the notion and vetoed some of the imagery I wanted to show, but she didn’t
outright kibosh the whole article.

So, I rather doubt that she’d support x-raying and re-diagramming, but the
appropriate avenue to pursue that would be to ask her, and then abide by her
wishes.

Robert