O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    July 15, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Fodder: Tangle Desktop Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5a38.shtml

Gadgets: Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a3c.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Tshirts: Kids: newbie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59cc.shtml

Caffeine: Energy Gum
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/5a35.shtml

Gadgets: Super Bright GREEN Laser Pointer!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1d.shtml

Gadgets: SoundBug - Turns Glossy Surfaces Into Speakers!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5a15.shtml

Tshirts: It Must Be User Error
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59fe.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher Privacy Device
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Gadgets: Mini Wireless Color Video Cam (for RC rovers)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59eb.shtml

Cube Goodies: Levitron Desktop Levitation Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59a9.shtml

Tshirts: Bug Off, I'm On My Break
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/5a00.shtml

Watches: onHand PC Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1a.shtml

Caffeine: Hyperglow Caffeinated Beer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/beer.shtml

Gadgets: Desktop Zero Point Infinite Power Generator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/zero.shtml

Cube Fodder: New Desktop Mini Fridge/Warmer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5991.shtml

Mods: New Lian-LIi Cases
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

Cube Fodder: LED Binary Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59e0.shtml

Cube Fodder: Rogers Connection Magnetic Set
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59b4.shtml

Caffeine: Warp Mints In Cinnamon Flavor
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/59de.shtml

Sourceforge
Automated Security Tools
    Release Candidate 1

phpLotto
    phpLotto 1st Release

Legend of the Wonderer TCG
    battle system in the project Docs

Advanced Simlulation Toolkit
    Recruiting

PHPortal
    PHPortal version 0.1.9 released!

PCGen -- A d20 Character Generator
    PCGen 2.6.3 is available

MySQL Objective C API for Cocoa
    SMySQL version 0.7.0

i810 Framebuffer Device Driver
    Video Overlay Support for the Intel 810 and 815 Framebuffer

'Just For Fun' Network Management System
    JFF Network Management System 0.6.4

VietPad
    VietPad 1.0.2 Release

Slashdot
Seventeen Years of Tetris

    thefalconer writes "It all happened 17 years ago on a whim and an
    addiction of sorts. Alexey Pazhitnov created the one game that has
    caused so many people around the world to just about go nuts trying to
    win a game that has the ability to slowly drive you to insanity one
    small misshappen block at a time. Since the creation of the original
    Tetris game on an Electronica 60, there have been dozens of different
    incarnations of Tetris that have dazzled the eyes, boggled the mind,
    frustrated the emotions, and fried more than their fair share of
    braincells. There is also a very interesting [0]history of tetris
    online that details its evolution from innocent game to insane
    addiction. Plus it's one of those games that never grows old. :D"
Links
    0. http://atarihq.com/tsr/special/tetrishist.html

Interesting Enemies For a Diagnostic Database

    dlh writes: "Boston.com is carrying an article about Dr. [0]Lawrence L.
    Weed's Problem Knowledge Coupler software. Apparently the medical
    profession is not exactly thrilled at the idea." Seems access to
    information is a positive thing, but certain doctors seem to feel
    threatened by this sort of database.
Links
    0. http://www.boston.com/globe/magazine/2002/0714/coverstory.htm

Freeciv-1.13.0 Stable

    Martin Willemoes Hansen writes "Freeciv-1.13.0 has been released upon
    the world! There has been almost a whole year of dedicated hacking. A
    big thanks goes to the [0]people, who made it all come true. Remember
    to read about the exciting [1]news and hurry up and [2]get it here."
Links
    0. http://www.freeciv.org/people.phtml
    1. http://www.freeciv.org/news/releases/NEWS-1.13.0
    2. http://www.freeciv.org/download.phtml

IPFilter Infriging on Bay Network Patent?

    jorhan writes "[0]Darren Reed, the author of [1]IPFilter, recently
    posted [2]this message to the [3]IPFilter mailing list. Apparently
    IPFilter may infringe upon USA patents owned by Bay Networks,
    specifically, [4]#5790554. The patent might seem to own just about
    every conceivable way one might wish to filter and forward data
    packets, but trying to read through all of the "wherein said first
    condition" started to give me a headache (ObIANAL). But when you read
    what application the authors specifically had in mind, it really has
    little to do with network layer firewalling. Even more important is the
    question Darren's mail indirectly poses, "Anyone know of any prior
    art?""
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/
    2. http://false.net/ipfilter/2002_07/0069.html
    3. http://false.net/ipfilter/
    4.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='5790554'.WKU.&OS=PN/5790554&RS=PN/5790554

The Mod Squad

    [0]Devil's BSD writes "Popular Science has a new article in this
    month's issue about [1]gaming mods. It contains a nice history of mods,
    touches on mods for the Big Three gaming systems today (as well as
    those for computer games), and a beginner's guide to mods. Interesting,
    but not much new for the l33t h4x0rs out there though."
Links
    0. http://www.mstc.fayette.k12.ky.us/~rchui
    1. http://www.popsci.com/popsci/computers/article/0,12543,281377,00.html

Skydiving from 25 Miles Up

    chisox writes "The Observer has a story about a retired French army
    colonel who is soon to make a [0]free fall parachute jump from 25 miles
    up. In the process he will break the sound barrier, reaching a top
    speed of mach 1.68 before he opens his parachute 1,000 metres above the
    Earth. Of course, if the chute doesn't open, the hole he'll make will
    be about 1,000 metres deep." Well, actually his max speed will be high
    up and near the earth the atmosphere will have slowed him down to
    [1]terminal velocity.
Links
    0. http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,754911,00.html
    1. http://hypertextbook.com/facts/JianHuang.shtml

Teaching BattleBots in High School

    [0]Some Guy writes: "We all know that everyone's favourite TV show is
    [1]BattleBots on [2]Comedy Central, Right? Well, a new program has
    started at my old high school that teaches BattleBots to kids. It's a
    truly engaging engineering program/curriculum that kids and school
    systems can use for credit. The program is called [3]BattleBots IQ.
    Kids out there can get their teachers to go to battlebots training
    camps during the summer, and then have them teach battlebots to them as
    a class. I wish it was around when I was a kid."
Links
    0. http:///dev/null
    1. http://www.battlebots.com/
    2. http://www.comedycentral.com/
    3. http://www.battlebotsiq.com/

Halo for the PC and Mac

    [0]smelialichu writes "According to this [1]news article, Halo is
    finally on its way to the PC and Mac. Gearbox is handling the PC
    version, and Westlak Interactive is working on the Mac version, but it
    won't be released untill next summer. The [2]official announcement says
    "Halo for PC is expected to be available in summer 2003. The Macintosh
    version is also expected to be available in 2003. Additional
    information regarding game content, features and enhancements will be
    announced at a later date." We can only assume they have some cool new
    features up their sleeves, maybe we'll be seeing Halo with even better
    graphics, optimized for the [3]new Radeon? Anyway, this is certainly a
    huge relief to many gamers who thought they may never see Halo on their
    home PC's."
Links
    0. http://www.tekcentral.org
    1. http://64.239.126.64/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=95
    2.
http://www.bungie.net/perlbin/blam.pl?file=/site/1/news/stories/halo_for_mac_and_pc_announced.html
    3. http://64.239.126.64/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=94

Ximian Desktop Installer, Red Carpet, and MonkeyTalk

    An anonymous reader submits: "Long-time Linux users forget what it is
    like to try to install something for the first time. Ximian has done a
    nice job writing scripts to hide the inner workings of a Gnome
    installation. TuxReports has snapshots of the Ximian installer. Do you
    believe that all Linux distributions should use such a friendly series
    of dialog boxes in order to attract more users to Linux?" Update: 07/14
    21:13 GMT by [0]M: Tuxreports has provided a [1]non-PHP page for us to
    link to... whoops. Sorry about that.
Links
    0. mailto:michael@@slashdot.org
    1. http://www.tuxreports.com/xim_slashdot.html

New Supersonic Jet Test Less Than Successful

    [0]saberwolf writes "The [1]BBC is reporting in this story that the
    first test of [2]Japan's supersonic jet didn't go quite as planned when
    it [3]crashed into the ground seconds after takeoff on its test rig. It
    looks like a successor to the world's only supersonic passenger jet,
    [4]Concorde (built jointly by the British and French in the 1960s) is
    still some way off." Reuters has [5]more pictures.
Links
    0. http://mike.flat222.org/
    1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/
    2. http://www.nal.go.jp/eng/research/sst/index.html
    3. http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/asia-pacific/newsid_2127000/2127429.stm
    4. http://www.britishairways.com/concorde/index.html
    5.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=570&ncid=753&e=1&u=/nm/20020714/sc_nm/science_australia_superjet_dc_4

Software.linux.com
Zeiberbude
http://software.linux.com/articles/view/1525/

    My favorite place to plug in has still gotta be a good old cyber cafe.
    No matter where in the world I am, I always feel at home when I visit
    one. I was very upset when the dot com downfall put many of my favorite
    little places out of business. But on the up side, that means that
    there's an opening in the market.

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]