O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    July 23, 2002                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Fodder: Tangle Desktop Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5a38.shtml

Gadgets: Sharp Zaurus Linux PDA
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a3c.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Tshirts: Kids: newbie
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59cc.shtml

Caffeine: Energy Gum
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/5a35.shtml

Gadgets: Super Bright GREEN Laser Pointer!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1d.shtml

Gadgets: SoundBug - Turns Glossy Surfaces Into Speakers!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/5a15.shtml

Tshirts: It Must Be User Error
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/59fe.shtml

Gadgets: Key Katcher Privacy Device
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a05.shtml

Gadgets: Mini Wireless Color Video Cam (for RC rovers)
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59eb.shtml

Cube Goodies: Levitron Desktop Levitation Toy
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59a9.shtml

Tshirts: Bug Off, I'm On My Break
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/apparel/5a00.shtml

Watches: onHand PC Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/gadgets/5a1a.shtml

Caffeine: Hyperglow Caffeinated Beer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/beer.shtml

Gadgets: Desktop Zero Point Infinite Power Generator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/zero.shtml

Cube Fodder: New Desktop Mini Fridge/Warmer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/5991.shtml

Mods: New Lian-LIi Cases
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/computing/cases-mods.shtml

Cube Fodder: LED Binary Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59e0.shtml

Cube Fodder: Rogers Connection Magnetic Set
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/fun-stuff/59b4.shtml

Caffeine: Warp Mints In Cinnamon Flavor
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/caffeine/59de.shtml

Sourceforge
Automated Security Tools
    Release Candidate 1

phpLotto
    phpLotto 1st Release

Legend of the Wonderer TCG
    battle system in the project Docs

Advanced Simlulation Toolkit
    Recruiting

PHPortal
    PHPortal version 0.1.9 released!

PCGen -- A d20 Character Generator
    PCGen 2.6.3 is available

MySQL Objective C API for Cocoa
    SMySQL version 0.7.0

i810 Framebuffer Device Driver
    Video Overlay Support for the Intel 810 and 815 Framebuffer

'Just For Fun' Network Management System
    JFF Network Management System 0.6.4

VietPad
    VietPad 1.0.2 Release

Slashdot
Mozlla 1.1 Beta Out And About

    [0]asa writes: "Today mozilla.org released [1]Mozilla 1.1 Beta. New to
    this release are full-screen mode for Linux, BiDi Hebrew improvements,
    Arabic shaping improvements for Linux, and significant improvements to
    [2]Venkman, the best cross-platform JavaScript debugger on the planet.
    Binaries and release notes available at
    [1]http://www.mozilla.org/releases/. You can read more about this
    release at [3]mozilla.org and [4]mozillazine.org and if you want to see
    how this release fits into the overall 1.1 development cycle there's a
    pretty picture available at [5]the Mozilla Development Roadmap."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.mozilla.org/releases/
    2. http://www.mozilla.org/projects/venkman/
    3. http://www.mozilla.org/
    4. http://www.mozillazine.org/
    5. http://www.mozilla.org/roadmap.html#tree-management

.NET for Apache

    [0]PerlGuy was so kind as to forward us the news about the joint
    Apache/Microsoft combined press conference scheduled from Wednesday at
    the [1]OSCON Quote: "We will announce news related to the Apache web
    server and Microsoft's development technology, .NET. This should be one
    of the biggest announcements of the conference..."
Links
    0. http://www.wehadthewayout.com
    1.

e.Digital Promises Another iPod Competitor

    joefefifo writes: "e.Digital has a [0]press release describing their
    Odyssey 1000, supposedly due out in the fall. Some stats: Looks like an
    iPod, uses USB 2.0., has a 20GB capacity, built-in mic for voice
    recording and navigation, FM Tuner with 12 presets, Mac & PC
    compatible, iTunes compatible, runs e.Digital’s MicroOS 2.0. Except
    for the choice of OS, looks pretty sweet. Any chance someone will get
    it to run Linux instead?" Like [1]Toshiba's little player, it uses USB
    2 rather than Firewire.
Links
    0. http://www.edig.com/news/releases/pr072202.html
    1. __SLASHLINK__

AMD's 64-Bit Chip

    [0]EyesWideOpen writes "AMD is set to release a 64-bit chip early next
    year which will be completely backwards compatible with the Athlon
    line. The current 64-bit offering from Intel, Itanium, is an entirely
    new chip that has no backwards compatibility with its x86 line of chips
    (from the 8080 chip to the Pentium IV) and is designed only for high
    end servers. AMD's solution to this problem is the Opteron chip
    ([1]product info) which will be in servers, desktops and laptops. Here
    is [2] a wired article."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] minus language
    1. http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_4699,00.html
    2. http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,53998,00.html

Open Source Politics - Maintaining Your Vision?

    [0]Theovon asks: "I have only released one open source project so far
    (link below), and I have never submitted patches to any other, so I am
    very unfamiliar with some of the politics. I have a new open source
    project I am considering releasing sooner rather than later, but I want
    to know how to keep control over it long enough to get into it
    everything I want. Specifically, what I want to know is how to deal
    with unwanted suggestions by contributors. By unwanted, I mean
    submissions which may be nice but which would cause the project to
    deviate significantly from where you are trying to head. I think it's
    important to publically address this issue, rather than doing Google
    searches and piecing together a perspective of it on my own. think
    there may be many developers out there whose work could benefit us all
    but who are wary of what might happen if they were to let loose before
    they had achieved enough of their goals. In my ignorance and paranoia,
    I have been pondering the various negative consequences of an early
    release, and I would like to see what Slashdot has to say about these
    concerns."
Links
    0. http://theosib at hotmail dot com

New Scheduler Available for FreeBSD

    [0]flynn_nrg writes "Luigi Rizzo, one of the [1]FreeBSD developers, has
    just finished the code for a new scheduler. From the announcement:
    '...as promised, a first version of the Proportional Share scheduler
    that we developed is available [2]here. These are for a recent -STABLE
    (i think any version from 4.4 should work; the only 3 files modified
    are kern_synch.c, kern_switch.c and proc.h, plus a one-line change to
    kern_exit.c). I have tested it a little bit on a diskless system, and
    it seems to survive running a full X session with the usual set of
    xterm, netscape etc. while i do a "renice" of the processes and even
    switch back and forth between schedulers. But do not trust this yet for
    a production system!' Read the full post [3]here."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.freebsd.org/
    2. http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ps_sched.20020719a.diff
    3.
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=392372+0+archive/2002/freebsd-arch/20020721.freebsd-arch

How Italian Police Shut Down U.S. Web Servers

    [0]gessel writes: "CNN has an article describing Italian police
    [1]shutting down a U.S. hosted website deemed in Italy to be
    [2]illegally blasphemous. The article goes on to describe the
    ramifications and U.S. efforts along the same lines."
Links
    0. http://www.dis.org/gessel
    1. http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/internet/07/22/borderless.internet.ap/index.html
    2. __SLASHLINK__

New Two-Headed Hard Drive Intended To Secure Web Sites

    [0]dlur writes: "This article states that [1]Scarabs (In Japanese), a
    Japanese company, is developing a [2]hard drive with two heads, one
    read-only and another that is read/write. With this comes two cables,
    the read-only side going to the external web server, and the r/w cable
    going to an internal protected server. While this should make it quite
    a bit tougher for script kiddies to place their mark on a page, I doubt
    it will stop any real hackers from getting to a site's DB as that would
    still need to be r/w."
Links
    0. http://www.homelandmud.org
    1. http://www.scarabs.com/
    2. http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,102881,00.asp

Linux Timeline By LWN and LJ

    A reader wrote to us with the link that Linux Journal has put together
    a [0]Linux Timeline. Kinda nice to walk down memory lane - and think
    about what was on peoples' mind at each major point. Of course, if I
    see the original letter Linus wrote at the beginning one more
    time...*grin*
Links
    0. http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6000

Open Source, Real Media Mega-player?

    [0]chill writes "CNN is [1]reporting "RealNetworks on Monday will
    unveil a new open source version of its streaming media software that
    supports multiple file formats for audio and video, including those
    that use Microsoft's Windows Media technology." and "RealNetworks did
    not formally license the ability to offer Windows Media software, but
    instead re-created the technology based on data streams sent between
    the server and player software, The New York Times reported. A
    Microsoft representative told the newspaper that the company would need
    to determine whether RealNetworks licensed the software before taking
    action. " I can't wait to see the actual license." Update: 07/22 19:10
    GMT by [2]T: The software [3]can be downloaded from the Helix site, if
    you're interested.
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://netscape.com.com/2100-1104-945418.html?type=pt
    2. http://www.monkey.org/~timothy/
    3. http://www.realnetworks.com/solutions/leadership/products.html

Software.linux.com
phpMyAdmin
http://software.linux.com/articles/view/1534/

    It doesn't matter whether you're in charge of managing a whole
    MySQL-server or a single database, there is no needed to be chained to
    your desk at work. All you need to start administering your MySQL
    servers and databases via the Web is a copy of php3 or 4 with MySQL
    support, MySQL, and a Web browser.

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]