O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    March 29, 2003                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Cube Goodies: Portable Mini Fridge
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5d57/

Gadgets: LightWedge Reading Light
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5cf2/

Gadgets: Binary Code Watch
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5cf3/

Books: High Score! The Illustrated History Of Electronic Games
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/5e26/

Computing: LED Light Sticks
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/5e66/

Cube Goodies: Activision 10-in-1 TV Games
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5d41/

Cube Goodies: Atari Classics 10-in-1 TV Games
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/5d39/

Computing: IQeye3 Network Camera
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/netcams/5e3b/

Electronics: FM Transmitter
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/5dab/

Computing: UV-Treated Rounded Cables
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/5e1f/

Computing: 4-D Optical Mouse
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/keyboards/5e45/

Books: Revolution OS DVD/VHS
http://www.thinkgeek.com/books/nonfiction/5dd5/

Gadgets: Wireless PenCam
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/5d8a/

Gadgets: WristLinx Communicator
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/5db8/

Gadgets: Laser-Sighted MiniTemp
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/5d95/

Computing: Labtec Axis 712 Digital USB Headset
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/speakers/headsets/5de1/

Computing: Fly Fan USB Fan
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/5dee/

Computing: Antec LanBoy Aluminum PC case
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/5de9/

Computing: UV-Treated 80mm Cooling Fans
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/casemods/5e01/

Computing: Viewsonic Airpanel Wireless 15" LCD
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/lcd/5df4/

Sourceforge
ECB 1.93 released

    ECB is a file/code browser for Emacs. It can be used to browse any type
    of file and supports parsing of Java, C, C++, Elisp and other types of
    source code. This release (1.93) includes bug fixes, layout
    enhancements and enhancements to tree-buffers.

Colander Internet Agent 0.2.2 release

    Colander is a Java application which acts as a scripted personal
    Internet agent (performance of arbitrary scripted tasks through the
    provided framework.) Access is possible through a standard web browser.
    Announcing release 0.2.2: This is a bugfix release that contains
    numerous backported fixes and updates. Please see the release notes on
    the file release page for details. Note that this version does not
    include the proper handling of binary data that the unstable branch
    does. Colander is in a useable state. It is listed as alpha software
    due to changes that may yet occur in the interface and API.

BitMagic library version 3.1.2 released

    BitMagic is a C++ library implementing dynamic bitvectors with several
    types of on-the-fly, adaptive compression. Designed for use in
    databases, search systems, scientific projects. Version 3.1.2 primarily
    focuses on memory consumption issues. Additional parameters added to
    save memory in situations when thousands of bitsets are used. (see
    http://bmagic.sourceforge.net/memsave.html); several build environment
    problems were fixed; added support file for AIX; improved performance
    of logical operations.

hl7d added to HL7 Toolkit

    This project aims at providing a Perl Toolkit for using the HL7
    protocol (a data interchange protocol used in healthcare). The toolkit
    will consist of a number of Perl libraries and scripts for developing
    HL7 capable applications in Perl. An early version of the hl7 server
    has been added to the project. This is a forking server that uses the
    Net::HL7 module, and dispatches incoming HL7 messages to user defined
    plugins.

Anjuta 1.0.2 (Tagore) released

    The Anjuta team is pleased to announce the release of Anjuta 1.0.2.
    Anjuta is an IDE (Integrated Developmetn Environment) for C and C++
    targetting the GNOME platform. The main highlight of this release is
    the advanced search/replace functionality. There have also been
    numerous smaller feature additions, updates and bug fixes. The Anjuta
    1.0.x series should now be considered dormant. New development will be
    taking place on HEAD which targets the GNOME2 platform. The current
    stable branch will only get critical bugfixes. Learn more about anjuta
    at http://www.anjuta.org/

SnipSnap 0.4.1a and Radeox 0.6.1

    Released a bugfix release for SnipSnap and Radeox. The major change is
    the improved performance of the Macro rendering mechanism that is now a
    100 times faster. SnipSnap is a personal content management system
    based on weblog and wiki technologies. It's intended for desktop use,
    but can be deployed on servers. SnipSnap differs from other weblog and
    wiki tools as it's focused on easy installation.

POP/SMTP e-mail jConduit now available via CVS.

    Users who build the project from sourcecode will be interested to note
    that the latest sources now include the new Email jConduit, that allows
    you to synchronize the Palm Mail database with the POP and SMTP servers
    of your choice. Work on this jConduit is continuing (adding features
    and such), but it is a good example of how to code a network-enabled
    jConduit. Interested developers are encouraged to update their source
    trees. This jConduit will be a part of our first beta binary release,
    planned for sometime within the next few weeks.

FreeMarker 2.2 final available

    The first release of FreeMarker 2.2 labelled production/stable is
    available. FreeMarker 2.2 incorporates some revolutionary new features:
    names-spaces, support for 3rd party JSP taglibs, fine control over
    whitespace, macros with default arguments. FreeMarker is a template
    engine. It provides an easy way to generate textual (HTML, RTF,
    PostScript, TeX, source code, etc) output from your data and helps you
    separate design issues from application logic. Integrates with
    servlets, XML, Python and more.

bogofilter-0.11.1.4 - new current release

    bogofilter 0.11.1.4 fixes several minor defects in 0.11.1.3 and updates
    the help messages and FAQ. The bogofilter package implements a fast
    Bayesian spam filter along the lines suggested by Paul Graham in his
    article "A Plan For Spam" . It is written in C. Supported platforms:
    Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris and OS X.

Privoxy 3.0.2 is released

    This is the first maintenance release of Privoxy. There are no
    significant new features in this release. Many bugs are fixed, and some
    existing features have been enhanced. See ChangeLog for details.
    Upgrading from 3.0.0 is recommended. Privoxy is a web proxy with
    advanced filtering capabilities for protecting privacy, filtering web
    page content, managing cookies, controlling access, and removing ads,
    banners, pop-ups and other obnoxious junk. It is based on the Internet
    Junkbuster.

Slashdot
Eclipse 2.1 Released

    insomnia writes "[0]Eclipse 2.1 has been unleashed to the world today.
    Eclipse is an open-source Java IDE environnement and I highly recommend
    it; developing under your favorite text editor feels like comparing
    Eclipse to the dinosaur age - I can't live without refactoring now. You
    can see what's new in this release [1]here."
Links
    0. http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/index.php
    1. http://download.eclipse.org/downloads/drops/R-2.1-200303272130/whats-new.html

XP Service Pack Slows Programs

    [0]AEton writes "[1]Vnunet and others are [2]reporting [3]that Windows
    XP's Service Pack 1 has introduced a flaw into the operating system.
    Changes to memory handling code result in programs which often allocate
    memory (which is many of them) can take up to ten times longer than
    normal to start. Microsoft has acknowledged the problem in [4]Q815411,
    and while a patch is available by request from [5]Microsoft Product
    Services, it will not be widely released until Service Pack 2."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.vnunet.com/
    2. http://www.vnunet.com/News/1139809
    3. http://www.idg.com.hk/cw/readstory.asp?aid=20030328004
    4. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815411
    5. http://support.microsoft.com/

Review of the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

    Gothmolly writes "After reading the [0]story and comments on Slashdot,
    I went out and bought one from [1]the Home Shopping Network. It's been
    a very fun and interesting jump into both the modern PDA (I owned the
    original Palm until this year) embedded Linux worlds. I've written a
    [2]review about my experiences over the last few days with it. A lot of
    this information I found online, a lot is personal experience. HSN is
    now out of them, but they must still be available cheaply somewhere."
Links
    0. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/17/1924257&tid=100
    1. http://www.hsn.com/
    2. http://www.schernau.com/ed/Zaurus5500.html

Software Tariffs and US IT Outsourcing?

    [0]HeelToe asks: "A while back I worked with someone who thought the US
    should simply impose tariffs on imported products to adjust their price
    to equalize foreign labor rates to the US minimum wage. I was laid off
    and my position moved to Canada last year. Since then, I've thought a
    lot about his ideas, as well as one of our topics of conversation a
    while back: Why doesn't the US tax the import of software? It seems to
    me like they should. It's not a "tangible" product (same reason used to
    deny my co-workers and me NAFTA and Trade Act benefits), but when
    someone outsources to another country with cheap labor for any other
    industry, there are usually import tariffs. Why is software different,
    and how would this change the climate of US IT jobs leaving for other
    parts of the world if we did tax software imports? I've done some
    looking on the web, but can find nothing in the [1]Harmonized Tariff
    Schedule of the United States. I did find this [2]thread from a few
    months back on [3]informationweek.com's Career Development Forum, but
    not much else. What does Slashdot think?"
Links
    0. http://www.goof.com/~mmead/
    1. http://dataweb.usitc.gov/SCRIPTS/tariff/toc.html
    2. http://www.informationweek.com/forum/career?comment_id=59403&threaded=1#thread
    3. http://www.informationweek.com/forum/career

Sun Drops Linux Distro

    The Wireless Guy writes "eWeek is reporting that Sun has decided to
    [0]stop offering a Linux distribution. From the story: "Yes, this is a
    change in strategy. Our Sun Linux distribution is essentially Red Hat
    Linux with a few minor tweaks," John Loiacono, vice president of Sun's
    operating platforms group"... so, is this good news for Red Hat?" They
    were [1]rethinking it, and I guess they've had a good long thunk.
Links
    0. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,981353,00.asp
    1. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/09/1457240&tid=102

Introduction to PHP5

    Yet Another OO Fanatic writes "PHP core developer [0]Sterling Hughes
    has a excellent [1]presentation ([2]mirror) about PHP5 online. So far
    it seems to be the best coverage of the new features in PHP5;
    highlights include the [3]new object model, [4]namespaces,
    [5]interfaces, [6]access control and [7]exceptions. Java by any other
    name..."
Links
    0. http://www.edwardbear.org/blog/
    1. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/
    2. http://talks.php.net/show/php5intro
    3. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/9
    4. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/3
    5. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/29
    6. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/12
    7. http://ny1.php.net/talks/show.php/php5intro/5

Moneydance - Cross-Platform Personal Finance

    [0]sreilly self-promotes: "[1]Moneydance 2003 has just been released
    for Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. This program is a completely
    cross-platform replacement for Quicken or MS Money. This is the first
    time that online banking and online bill payment has been available in
    a made-for-Linux application. It also has features that aren't
    available in Quicken such as an extension mechanism that lets
    developers easily add and distribute new features to the program."
Links
    0. http://seanreilly.com/
    1. http://moneydance.com/

The Next XFree86 Wars: XFT2 vs STSF

    NoSun writes "Sun's latest project is to create a font library for
    XFree86, [0]named Stsf, that would replace [1]Fontconfig and Xft2. But
    the big question is: Does the world need yet another X font library
    that would create more incompatibility and fragmentation? Well known
    Gnome and GTK+ developers are against this (yet another) X font library
    which [2]just re-invents the wheel one more time with the result of
    slowing down KDE and Gnome in the desktop race. "
Links
    0. http://stsf.sourceforge.net/about.html
    1. http://fontconfig.org/
    2. http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3139

Meteor Over Midwest

    [0]bigpat writes "According to this [1]story in the Chicago Tribune or
    this [2]article, a meteor estimated to be the size of a 'Volkswagen
    bug' exploded over the Midwest around midnight yesterday morning. The
    resulting small meteorites hit homes causing some damage. The largest
    meteorite collected was 7.5 pounds. So why do astronomers always
    compare the size of meteors to Volkswagen bugs?"
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-030337meteorite,0,610488.story?coll=chi-news-hed
    2.
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/087/nation/Meteor_lights_up_Midwestern_sk%3A.shtml

Broad Bills to Protect 'Communications Services'

    [0]mttlg writes "According to [1]Freedom to Tinker, MA, TX, SC, FL, GA,
    AK, TN, and CO have introduced [2]similar bills that would make it
    illegal to possess, use, etc. "any communication device to receive ...
    any communication service without the express consent or express
    authorization of the communication service provider" or "to conceal ...
    from any communication service provider ... the existence or place of
    origin or destination of any communication." (Additional legalese
    removed for the sake of brevity.) This would seem to outlaw NAT, VPNs,
    and many other security measures. In other words, don't secure your
    communications, just sue if you don't like who receives them." The
    bills define 'communication service' as just about any sort of telecom
    service that is provided for a charge or fee. In effect, they would
    extend the already-extant laws relating to theft of cable TV services
    to any telecom service. For example, if your ISP charges per computer
    connected, using a router/NAT device would be illegal if these became
    law.
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/
    2. http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/archives/000336.html

Freshmeat
2D/3D Area Graph Software 3.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117823/

    2D/3D Area Graph Software provides both a client and server side
    solution for the incorporation of area graphs into Web pages. Versatile
    components enable Web authors and Java developers to easily build and
    publish dynamic and interactive area graphs.

AccWhizz 0.0.9 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117851/

    AccWhizz is a multilingual accounting application for small business
    companies and accounting offices. It is modular, written in PHP 4.x,
    and operates on top of PHP GroupWare. It runs as a Web application with
    Apache and phpgroupware serving as a middle layer. Internal data is
    managed by PostgreSQL/MySQL databases. The SQL server can either be
    local or remote.

aewm 1.2.3 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117779/

    aewm is a minimalist window manager for X11. It has no nifty features,
    but is light on resources and extremely simple in appearance. It should
    eventually make a good reference implementation of the ICCCM. A few
    separate programs are included to handle running programs, switching
    between windows, etc.

Anjuta IDE 1.0.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117806/

    Anjuta is a versatile Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for C
    and C++ in GNU/Linux. It has been written for GTK/GNOME, and features a
    number of advanced programming facilities. These include project
    management, application wizards, an onboard interactive debugger, and a
    powerful source editor with source browsing and syntax highlighting.

AutoUpdate 4.8.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117834/

    AutoUpdate is a Perl script which performs a task similar to Red Hat's
    up2date or autorpm. It can be used to automatically download and
    upgrade RPMs from different HTTP(S) or (S)FTP sites, while also
    handling dependencies. Moreover, it can also be used to keep a server
    with a customized (Red Hat) distribution plus all clients up to date.

Axion 1.0 Milestone 1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117820/

    Axion is a small, fast, SQL and JDBC compliant relational database
    engine written in and for the Java programming language.

BitMagic C++ library 3.1.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117777/

    BitMagic is C++ library designed and developed to implement efficient,
    platform-independent bitsets. It features several types of on-the-fly
    adaptive compression, dynamic range of addressable space of 2^32-1
    bits, efficient memory management, serialization in a
    platform-independent, compact format suitable for storing in files and
    databases, performance tuning for 32-bit and 64-bit systems, and
    optimization for Intel SSE2 128-bit integer SIMD.

BitTorrent 3.2 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117782/

    BitTorrent is a tool for copying files from one machine to another. FTP
    punishes sites for being popular. Since all uploading is done from one
    place, a popular site needs big iron and big bandwidth. With
    BitTorrent, clients automatically mirror files they download, making
    the publisher's burden almost nothing.

Browseable Online Backup System 0.6.0pre1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117815/

    Browseable Online Backup System (BOBS) is a complete online backup
    system. It uses large disks for storing backups and lets users browse
    the files using a Web browser. It handles some special files like
    AppleDouble and icon files.

cubistic twilight 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117805/

    cubistic twilight is a background made in Blender 3D.

DireqCafe 1.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117796/

    DireqCafe is a full featured and complete open-source Internet cafe
    system for use with the LTSP thin client solution.

DNews 5.7b1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117762/

    The DNEWS News Server is a (USENET) news server. Installing your own
    local news server software gives you complete control to create your
    own discussion forums for communication. DNews News Server software
    provides many features, including ease-of-use, reliability, and
    scalability.

dvd::rip 0.50.9 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117852/

    dvd::rip is a full featured DVD copy program written in Perl. It
    provides an easy-to-use but feature-rich GTK+ GUI to control almost all
    aspects of the ripping and transcoding process. It uses the widely
    known video processing swissknife, transcode, and many other Open
    Source tools.

Easibox 0.1.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117818/

    Easibox is a utility for creating tar files, zip files, and other
    archive files.

ERW 0.9.7
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117811/

    ERW (Entities and Relationships on the Web) is an innovative system for
    handling complex databases using a Web browser. It uses the most recent
    standards endorsed by the W3C to offer to the user a sophisticated
    environment, similar to a dedicated client. Moreover, the user
    interface is generated in a completely automatic way starting from a
    conceptual description of the database by means of an XML-based
    description language for entity-relationship schemata. From the same
    description, you can also automatically obtain diagrams and
    documentation. ERW can be used for content management, in particular
    when the data is structured along complex relations.

FCKeditor 0.9.3 beta
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117755/

    FCKEditor is an HTML/DHTML editor for ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, and JavaScript
    that brings to the Web much of the powerful functionality of known
    desktop editors like Word. It's very lightweight, and doesn't require
    any kind of installation on the client computer.

FtpCube 0.4.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117787/

    FtpCube is a graphical ftp client written in Python using the wxPython
    graphical toolkit, and is based on LeechFTP by Jan Debis. FtpCube aims
    to provide a high quality GUI, as well as a rich feature set, and
    surpasses LeechFTP in functionality.

GNU Smalltalk 2.1-pre (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117847/

    GNU Smalltalk is a free implementation of the Smalltalk-80 language.

grabc 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117842/

    grabc determines the color string in hex of a pixel clicked on the
    screen.

gURLChecker 0.3-5 (Unstable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117807/

    gURLChecker is a C/GNOME 2 tool that can check links on a single Web
    page or on a whole Web site in order to determine the validity of each
    page.

Horatio: Authenticated Network Access 1.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117840/

    The Horatio system is a firewall authentication tool. The premise:
    legitimate users want to attach laptops and other mobile hosts to the
    network, but security demands that illegitimate users be prevented from
    accessing the internal, secure network and from abusing the general
    Internet. The approach taken by Horatio is to provide a separate,
    untrusted network that only connects to the internal network (and thus
    to the Internet) through a firewall that by default does not pass any
    traffic. When a legitimate user connects his or her host, it is
    assigned an address by a DHCP server (such as dhcpd), but is unable to
    contact anything outside the untrusted network. The user must point a
    Web browser at the Horatio web server, which runs on the firewall
    machine, and provide a username and password. Once the username and
    password have been validated, the firewall rules are modified to allow
    the host access to the rest of the network.

IndeoCRM 2.0.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117821/

    IndeoCRM is a Web-based customer relationship solution (CRM) for small
    and medium-sized businesses. It offers flexibility to manage complex
    customer relationships at any level within a company with a low cost of
    ownership. The application tracks customer information (companies,
    divisions, and people), sales processes (opportunities, quotes,
    orders), tasks, attachments, and products. In addition, it generates
    reports, and allows synchronization with remote users. It is fully
    customizable (purchase of the source source code is available), and can
    be deployed on open-source platforms such as Linux, SAP Database, and
    Apache Tomcat, or commercial packages such as MS Windows and MS SQL.

IPA 1.3.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117795/

    IPA allows one to perform IP accounting based on FreeBSD IPv4/v6
    Firewall (including IPFW2), OpenBSD Packet Filter, and IP Filter
    accounting rules on Free/Net/OpenBSD. It supports limits for accounting
    rules, and limits events such as "limit is reached" and
    "reached limit is expired." It also has a flexible
    configuration file with many sections and options.

Jconsole 1.43
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117798/

    Jconsole is a JMX console for JBoss that provides a pre-built Web
    client for the JBoss application server. It deploys the JMX features of
    JBoss.

Knoppix 3.2-2003-03-28
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117845/

    KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software,
    automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards,
    sound cards, SCSI devices, and other peripherals. It can be used as a
    Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, etc. It is not necessary to
    install anything on a hard disk due to on-the-fly decompression.

KRelais 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117819/

    KRelais is an electronic design and simulation program. It can create
    circuits with various relay types and switches. The complete circuit
    can be simulated in realtime. It includes a lot of circuit examples.

Krename 2.5.5 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117822/

    Krename is a very powerful batch file renamer for KDE3 which can rename
    a list of files based on a set of expressions. It can copy/move the
    files to another directory or simply rename the input files. Krename
    supports many conversion operations, including conversion of a filename
    to lowercase or to uppercase, conversion of the first letter of every
    word to uppercase, adding numbers to filenames, finding and replacing
    parts of the filename, and many more. It can also change access and
    modification dates, permissions, and file ownership.

LILO 22.5.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117853/

    LILO is a Boot loader for Linux/x86 and other PC operating systems. It
    is responsible for loading your Linux kernel from either a floppy or a
    hard drive and passing control to it. It is capable of booting beyond
    cylinder 1024 of a hard disk if the BIOS supports EDD packet call
    extensions to the int 0x13 interface. LILO can also be used to boot
    many other operating systems, including DOS, Windows (all versions),
    OS/2, and the BSD variants. The LILO distribution includes full source,
    documentation and support files.

Link Protect 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117829/

    Link Protect will prevent direct linking, downloads, and spider
    searches of your images and pages that would otherwise enable
    unauthorized downloads. If the call is not from within your site or an
    authorized site, a customizable default image is displayed. You can
    specify domains from which you will accept links such as your other
    sites or those of authorized associates. Almost any type of file can be
    protected (GIF, JPEG, zip, HTML, exe, etc.).

Linoleum 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117838/

    Linoleum is an easy-to-use program which helps you manage, edit, and
    distribute your programs and files. It stores all your information in a
    simple, compact database in which you can add, remove, or edit files
    with a click of a button.

Log to Map 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117780/

    LogToMap is a tool which takes an access log and produces a geographic
    map, shading each country in relation to the number of visitors who
    live there.

MacOS Cursors 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117731/

    MacOS Cursors provides a basic set of MacOS cursors for the
    cursor-themable XFree86 (4.3.0 and higher) environment.

mailsync 5.1.0 (*)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117850/

    Mailsync is a way of synchronizing a collection of mailboxes. The
    algorithm is a 3-way diff. Two mailboxes are simultaneously compared to
    a record of the state of both mailboxes at last sync. New messages and
    message deletions are propagated between the two mailboxes. Mailsync
    can synchronize local mailbox files in many formats and remote
    mailboxes over IMAP, POP, and IMAPS.

MFITSIO 1.2.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117785/

    MFITSIO is a MATLAB interface to CFITSIO-- a library used to manipulate
    images and headers stored in the Flexible Image Transport System (FITS)
    file format. It currently supports reading and writing FITS images,
    headers, and array subsets.

Moneydance build 301
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117790/

    Moneydance is an easy-to-use financial organizer built for the
    Internet. You can use it to organize your finances so that you can get
    on with the important things in life. The familiar interface makes
    managing your money easy, while the advanced features give you the
    ability to visually track your spending. Graphs and reports provide
    financial feedback, while features such as budgeting, online banking,
    and transaction reminders help you keep an eye on your money.

MP3 STATION alpha1_rc1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117812/

    MP3 STATION is a plain text Linux/Unix tool set for managing MP3
    playback in a car with as little user interaction as possible. It can
    restart the last playlist at the last played track, transparently load
    directories, transparently recompile playlists, and keep a repository
    of all the playlists. It also has a simple ncurses client for
    comunicating with cm3s. All programs run under a non-privileged user
    account.

open1x 0.6
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117635/

    Open1x is an open source implementation of the IEEE 802.1x protocol.
    The project has two components: xsupplicant and authenticator.
    Xsupplicant is an implementation of the supplicant (i.e., client) side
    of the protocol and works under Linux and Mac OS X. Authenticator is an
    implementation of the authenticator and works only under Linux.

osx2x 0.2.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117800/

    osx2x allows the user to control a remote X11 display from a MacOS X
    machine, similar to x2x. The tool simply captures mouse and keyboard
    events on your Mac and sends them to a specified X server.

PaulOS 1.3.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117801/

    PaulOS is a reference implementation of an embedded operating system
    which supports a subset of POSIX geared for embedded realtime single
    process applications. It is written to allow applications to be
    developed under GNU/Linux or FreeBSD and then recompiled without
    changes for the target architecture. It features POSIX file
    descriptors, a TCP stack (LwIP) with a BSD socket API, an ANSI C
    library, a DNS resolver library, and a minimal pthread library. A
    number of GNU/Linux network applications have been ported to it.

Perl HL7 Toolkit 0.62
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117799/

    Perl HL7 Toolkit provides a number of Perl libraries and scripts for
    developing HL7-capable applications in Perl.

phpGIS 2.1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117824/

    phpGIS is a Geographic Information System application meant to be used
    as a way of viewing ESRI shape files and aerial photos in the TIFF
    format.

PHPki 0.03
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117772/

    PHPki is an Open Source Web application for managing a Public Key
    Infrastructure within a small organization. It provides a mechanism for
    the centralized creation and management of digital certificates for use
    with S/MIME-enabled email cilents. It will not create server, browser,
    or code signing certificates. PHPki was specifically designed to set up
    a multi-agency PKI for HIPAA compliance.

phpMySQLDiff 1.2.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117769/

    phpMySQLDiff is a PHP script which generates an SQL-ALTER-Script for
    the differences between two databases.

PXES Linux Thin Client 0.5.1-35
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117849/

    PXES is a micro Linux distribution for thin clients that converts any
    suitable machine into a versatile thin client within minutes. It can
    access XDM servers presenting a graphical login screen, Microsoft
    Terminal Servers, Citrix ICA, and VNC servers, or a local X session
    with simple desktop and window manager. A graphical configuration tool
    allows parameters such as the server to be set. Local devices can be
    accessed, including sound, printers, and disks. It boots on a variety
    of hardware, and does not require NFS. It can be used over low
    bandwidth WAN and VPN connections, and can also be booted from local
    media like hard disk and CD-ROMs where network boot cannot be used.

pyDDR 0.6.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117804/

    PyDDR is a clone of DDR ("Dance Dance Revolution") written in
    Python. The idea of DDR is simple. There's a mat with four directional
    arrows, and the game scrolls arrows up the screen to the beat while
    playing a song. When the arrows reach the top of the screen (not sooner
    and not later), the player hits the corresponding arrow on the pad, and
    given that it's hit on time with the beat, points are scored. Based on
    how well the dance is put together, s/he is graded at the end of the
    song. Both keyboard and mat play are supported.

Raptor RDF Parser Toolkit 0.9.9 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117843/

    Raptor is the RDF Parser Toolkit for Redland, a C library for the
    RDF/XML and N-Triples RDF formats. It can use expat or libxml2 as
    available, and supports the latest RDF updates, such as datatyping and
    collections.

RendView 0.6.7
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117837/

    RendView is a utility to have films rendered using POVRay (and maybe
    other raytracers) and post-processed in a local distributed
    environment. Features include rendering/filtering a sequence of frames
    (f000.pov,f001.pov...) or a list of scene files and POVRay clock
    values, tuning on per-frame basis, and resuming partly-rendered images,
    all either completely locally or distributed in a local IP network.

Rolo 005
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117828/

    Rolo keeps track of contacts and displays with a text-based menu. It
    strives to be a well-constructed tool for complementing text-based
    email programs. It utilizes the vCard version 3.0 format for storing
    its contacts and interfaces with the end-user through an NCurses
    front-end.

SCons 0.12
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117825/

    SCons is a software construction tool (build tool substitute for Make)
    implemented in Python. It features a modular build engine that can be
    embedded in other software. SCons configuration files are Python
    scripts that call the build engine API. It can scan files to detect
    dependencies automatically and maintain a global view of all
    dependencies in a build tree, and uses MD5 signatures to detect changed
    file contents reliably. Timestamps can be used if you prefer. SCons
    also supports parallel builds and is easily extensible through
    user-defined builder and scanner objects.

Scroll Image 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117830/

    Scroll Image displays a much larger image in a smaller window. With the
    use of the arrow keys or the mouse, the image can be scrolled
    vertically and horizontally enabling selective viewing or a sense of
    mystery. Ideal for walkthrough type displays and catalogue viewing.

Secure FTP Bean 2.0.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117841/

    The Secure FTP Bean allows FTP connections to be made over SSL,
    including both implicit and explicit SSL connections, and passive and
    active data transfers with or without encryption.

sgml2x converter 0.99.8 (sgml2x-1.0)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117836/

    sgml2x is a script designed to help applying a DSSSL stylesheet to an
    SGML or XML document. It already has a couple of interesting features,
    such as multiple possible stylesheets per document class, easy
    integration of new stylesheets by adding a simple new definition file
    in a configuration directory (system-wide, per-user, or per-project),
    and automatic selection of a default stylesheet to be used. It is
    already set up for DocBook SGML/XML.

ShoStats 1.1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117773/

    ShoStats is a reimplementation of phpSysInfo in Perl, useful for
    running from crontab and outputting the stats to a PHP include file,
    which can then be displayed on a hosting account. It is modular and
    configurable, including modules to support both Linux and OpenBSD, an
    output module for PHP include files, and transfer modules for output to
    stdout (which can be redirected or piped) and uploading to an FTP
    server.

Siege 2.57b10 (Beta)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117839/

    Siege is a regression test and benchmark utility. It can stress test a
    single URL with a user defined number of simulated users, or it can
    read many URLs into memory and stress them simultaneously. The program
    reports the total number of hits recorded, bytes transferred, response
    time, concurrency, and return status. Siege supports HTTP/1.0 and 1.1
    protocols, GET and POST directives, cookies, transaction logging, and
    basic authentication. Its features are configurable on a per user
    basis.

SimpleSearch 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117803/

    SimpleSearch 1.0 is a robust and fast search engine for small to medium
    size Web sites. It never writes to your disk, is very secure, and does
    not use any indexes, archives, or databases. It returns very sharply
    formatted results, including page title, sentence snippet with
    highlighted keyword(s), and a hyperlinked full URL to each page that
    contained a match. It is simple to install and even easier to
    configure! SimpleSearch can search across multiple directories, and
    will exclude any subdirectories you don’t want searched. It is a great
    solution for your Web site if you want to add search capabilities
    without going through the hassle of setting up an SQL database or
    installing a complicated search engine.

SKYRiX ZideStore Server 0.9.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117832/

    The SKYRiX ZideStore server is a native client integration server for
    the SKYRiX groupware. Users can access the contact, appointment, and
    task database using Outlook, Evolution and almost any iCalendar
    compatible client (for example Apple iCal or Mozilla Calendar).

smtp-after-popd 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117740/

    smtp-after-popd briefly authorizes outgoing SMTP message sending via
    Postfix for addresses that have recently been authorized to receive
    mail by either ipop3d or vm-pop3d. The timeout and all other parameters
    are easily adjusted. It is written in Perl and works by parsing
    syslogd-produced mail log files efficiently in real time, so that no
    modifications to ipop3d or vm-pop3d are required. It is CPU friendly
    and easy to modify.

snapshot 1.02
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117794/

    snapshot is a set of Perl scripts for creating, accessing, and managing
    a repository of directory snapshots. Multiple snapshots of a directory
    can exist in a repository representing the state of that directory at
    different times. A snapshot repository can be local or remote, with
    remote servers accessed by ssh.

SysV pg 030328
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117788/

    The pg command originates from System V and is a text file browser,
    like more. It lets the user scroll forward and backward even if input
    comes from a pipe. This free clone is intended to comply to the SVID 4
    and SUSv2 specifications of this utility; it is aimed to recent Linux
    environments and can handle large files as well as files that contain
    multibyte characters.

Taruli 0.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117802/

    Taruli is a small concentration game.

TestDisk 4.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117835/

    TestDisk is a tool to check and undelete partitions. It works with the
    following partitions: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, Linux, Linux swap (version 1
    and 2), NTFS (Windows NT), BeFS (BeOS), UFS (BSD), and Netware.

TextMaker beta rev 379
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117797/

    TextMaker is a word processor that launches quickly, needs little
    memory, does not require complicated setup, and has the full feature
    set of a modern high-end word processor. It reads and writes Microsoft
    Word 6/95/97/2000/XP files.

vcp 0.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117781/

    vcp copies files and directories using a curses or text-only interface.
    Its options and output are similar to cp. It provides visual
    information about the files copied and left to copy, the amount of data
    written and to be written, the amount of data being written every
    second, and two status bars representing the number of files copied and
    to copy.

VM 7.14
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117791/

    VM is a mail reader written in Emacs LISP for GNU Emacs and XEmacs. It
    can retrieve mail from local spool files or remotely via POP and IMAP,
    display and send MIME messages, thread messages, auto-sort messages
    into folders, and manipulate "virtual folders" of messages
    matching certain criteria. In Emacs versions with X support it provides
    an interface with toolbars, menus, and mouse-based message selection.

WowBB 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117759/

    WowBB is an innovative bulletin board with features including an auto
    install/upgrade, a WYSIWYG editor with integrated spell-checker,
    automatic time zone detection, topic-level new post tracking, smart
    caching, a visual style editor with real-time preview, and native file
    format support for major bulletin boards.

Xrsf 1.0.3
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117814/

    Xrsf is a "really simple fractal-generator" with zoom
    function and fullscreen mode. Currently it displays the Mandelbrot set.

xSiteable 0.85
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117810/

    xSiteable is a complete all-you-need package for creating sites that
    are fully relational, open source, fully templating-enabled, using only
    XML-based technologies to help you create complex sites on the fly. It
    packs such features as topic maps, notation for content, and the fast
    Sablotron xslt parser.

Zoom Image 2.0 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/117833/

    Zoom Image is a magnification viewer for JPG and GIF images which zooms
    in and out with a 20:1 zoom factor. The left mouse button zooms in, and
    the right mouse button zooms out. Mouse pointing controls the direction
    of exploration within the image. It can be used to display quality
    high-resolution JPG and GIF images.

Slashcode
Can Slash handle long lived items
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/28/2346257

    I have a need for a site that will support both short time articles and
    documents that have a very long life (on the order of over 5 years).
    Before re-inventing this I wanted to ask if there was a plugin or
    something that allowed me to have a storage area for documents that
    have a very long life. For example policies and procedures. I would
    like to have a index page for these items generated automaticly and
    also be able to announce them in a regular story. For a real example
    one thing I would like to be able to do is to post scores from a weekly
    match (USPSA) and have an index page that will show each weeks history.
    In addition a story would be posted with a link to that weeks scores.
    Another use would be to have a series of "white papers" that are
    avaiable from an index page and are also announced in a story.

slashd not disconnecting from mysql
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/28/186236

    I've just managed to get slash 2.2.6 installed with mySQL 4.0.12 and
    apache 1.3.27 on a Debian system (local network.) Things appear to be
    working except that slash doesn't seem to be disconnecting from mySQL
    after serving up a page - each page eats a new mySQL thread which
    remains sleeping until enough threads are created such that I run out
    of memeory (128M.) Is this normal for slash, unique to mySQL 4.0 or
    debian, or am I just lucky?

RDF generation frequency?
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/27/1743219

    I'm still running Slash 1, but currently converting to Slash 2, albeit
    slowly. For some reason RSS/RDF feeds are generated only onec a hour.
    My question is: Is it possible to force slash1 generate RDF more
    frequently and if it's configurable in slash2? For some reason I
    haven't found RDF generation interval in configuration files.

How active is your community?
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/26/0222223

    I'm managing the technical aspects of a growing private community. I
    have noticed that the vast majority of my users are not very
    participatory. We have a core group of about 80-150 active users
    (posters/commenters/journals/etc), and 400-900 lurkers on any given
    day. Due to various email invites, our user base is now over 10k users.
    My site is invitation only, and there are no anonymous users. Thus, I
    can definitely identify all of my users. My questions for the slashcode
    community are these: How many unique users does your slashsite get in a
    day as compared with the total number of users that you have? Is it
    typical to have only 6% of your user base active and less than 1% of
    them regularly interactive? FYI, my calculations for these figures come
    from the accesslog as: select count(distinct uid), dayofyear(ts) as day
    from accesslog group by day; For sites that allow anonymous users, the
    following would return (kinda) similar results: select count(distinct
    host_addr), dayofyear(ts) as day from accesslog group by day;

ricecooker.org, Asian and Asian American topics
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/24/181242

    Hi everyone - We've just launched a slash site on Asian and Asian
    American topics called ricecooker.org. Thanks so much for the software
    and the inspiration. We're pretty nervous about whether this can take
    off or will just linger in some obscure corner of the web, so if you
    are interested in the community we're trying to create, please help us
    by telling other people who might also be interested in our site! We
    acknowledge our direct inspiration from slash in our mission statement.
    Cheers everyone from the people at ricecooker.org!

Current Slash Tags
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/24/1633257

    Keep in mind that the type="op" is the syntax that is saved. Most have
    multiple forms. Also keep in mind that to use links you need to have
    Slash::Relocate installed and Slash::Blob. For image and file uploads
    all you need is Slash::Blob. Read one for the entire list:

SLASH tags
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/24/0315249

    Thanks for all the help with the upgrade, but I have another question.
    What's the syntax for the new SLASH tags? I've tried looking through
    the code, but alas, I'm not much of a perl programmer, and
    expirementing hasn't given me much help.

Cluster Rant
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/21/234230

    Yet another slash site for Beowulf/HPC cluster users. Check out Cluster
    Rant if you are interested. --deadline

Upgrading
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/15/2012236

    I just wanted to suggest that someone out there who's rather good with
    Slash write a How-To on Upgrading to the latest CVS, or upgrading to
    the latest release, or both! It'd sure help me out. (a simple how-to in
    the comments to this article would help a great deal as well!)

Misusing backSlash as Instant Messenger
http://slashcode.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/13/1712245

    We just recently noticed, that backSlash is (in 1.x as well as 2.x) a
    very fine instant messenger between authors who just have web access or
    not liking IRC or ICQ. Just start a new story, put the message (up to
    50 characters) in the title field, and hit preview. Immediately your
    message is shown to all logged in authors when they load the next Slash
    page. And if you then have the submission list open with it's refresh
    of 900 seconds (the default valalue), you always have the newest
    messages even without hitting the reload button. It also proofed to be
    useful to send replies or ACK messages to acknowledge, that the message
    has been read. But be careful not to submit those messages as stories.
    This can be awkward. (So there's even a little bit of thrill when using
    this type of IM... ;-)

Price Compare
256MB Secure Digital Card (SanDisk)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=637899

    Lowest Price: $62.38

128MB Memory Stick (Lexar Media)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=615823

    Lowest Price: $43.50

512MB PC2700 SDRAM DIMM (Kingston)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=564552

    Lowest Price: $61.00

256MB CompactFlash Type I (SanDisk)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=445141

    Lowest Price: $48.00

512MB PC2100 DDR (Kingston)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=605615

    Lowest Price: $57.95

Power Mac G4 (Apple)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=216734

    Lowest Price: $895.00

iMac PowerPC G4 800MHz 256MB 60GB CDRW/DVD-R (Apple)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=546009

    Lowest Price: $1794.00

XTREME - EXPLORER X4000 PC Intel Pentium 4 Processor 1.60 GHz, 256MB DDR, 40GB (Xtreme)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=551387

    Lowest Price: $558.00

Dimension 8200 (P4 2.2 GHz, 256MB, 40GB, CDRW) (Dell)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=550241

    Lowest Price: $1298.00

X3000 (AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHz, 512MB, 20GB 52X CD-ROM) (Xtreme)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=551397

    Lowest Price: $445.00

Getting Hooked on Phonics by Gateway Educational Products, Ltd., Staff (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0964679108

    Lowest Price: $100.00

Wild at Heart by John Eldredge (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0785268839

    Lowest Price: $11.29

Official Guide for GMAT Review by  (Trade Paper)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0446396664

    Lowest Price: $12.95

Suikoden(tm) III Official Strategy Guide by Bradygames Staff (Trade Paper)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0744002257

    Lowest Price: $14.99

Donna Dewberry's One-Stroke Painting Course by Donna S. Dewberry (Trade Cloth)
http://osdn.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?isbn=0806918756

    Lowest Price: $9.95

Copyright (c) 2002 OSDN. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without
express written permission of OSDN is prohibited.
url - http://www.osdn.com
email - [EMAIL PROTECTED]