O | S | D | N                 NEWSLETTER
    August 09, 2003                                          DEVELOPER SERIES

      The 'Developer Series' Newsletter is developed to bring Open Source
    related content to a user with a focus for development with Open Source
             If you'd like to receive more content relating to
             Open Source subscribe at http://www.osdn.com/newsletters/

Thinkgeek
Computing: 17" Samsung 170N  LCD Display
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/lcd/624e/

PC Mods: Startech Cool Aluminator PC Case
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cases/6297/

Computing: Multimedia Access Panels
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/628f/

Computing: Zip-Linq Cell Phone Charger Kits
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/62aa/

Computing: Kensington WiFi Finder
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/6247/

Computing: Zip-Linq Retractable Network/Modem Cables
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/62a1/

Computing: Zip-Linq Zip-Mouse
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/keyboards/629b/

Cube Goodies: Smart Mug
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/mugs/6235/

Cube Goodies: Moving Gear Clock
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/lights/601e/

Computing: BenQ FP2081 20" LCD Display
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/display/lcd/6259/

Gadgets: Microscope Pen
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/6222/

Gadgets: Candeloo Rechargeable Lamps
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/5efd/

Computing: ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/avcards/623c/

Electronics: Mustek [EMAIL PROTECTED] D30 Digital Camera
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/cameras/61a5/

PC Mods: Cigarette Lighter Mod
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/61fd/

PC Mods: Bubble Lights
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/lighting/620c/

PC Mods: Meteor Light
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/lighting/6208/

Cube Goodies: Levitating Desktop Globes
http://www.thinkgeek.com/cubegoodies/toys/61da/

Tshirts: No, I will not fix your computer
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/frustrations/388b/

Interests: ph34r t3h Cute Ones T-Shirt
http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/megatokyo/leetware/6155/

Sourceforge
FreeFrame 1.0 Release

    Well after a lot of work, we're there - public release of FreeFrame 1.0
    - the new realtime video effects plugin format for VJ software.
    FreeFrame allows plugin developers to develop one plugin that will work
    in a variety of video programs. Today's FreeFrame release coincides
    with the release of versions of VJamm and Resolume featuring native
    support for the standard. We are also releasing today plugin developer
    kits for C++ and Pascal developers, in addition to sample host code for
    application developers wishing to support the standard. For more
    general info on FreeFrame please visit the FreeFrame website:
    http://www.freeframe.org ... and for technical info / downloads the
    SourceForge FreeFrame site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeframe/
    The FreeFrame file release package at this address is the general
    windows download for FreeFrame 1.0 - this contains the latest versions
    of Petes Plugins - a fully featured FreeFrame plugin set from Pete
    Warden and the Resolume plugin pack. Watch out for further FreeFrame
    1.0 releases over the coming months. http://www.vjammpro.com
    http://www.resolume.com http://www.petewarden.com Russell VJamm

Release 0.3.5 now available.

    The Anti-Spam SMTP Proxy (ASSP) Server project aims to create an open
    source platform-independent SMTP Proxy server which implements
    whitelists and Bayesian filtering to rid the planet of the blight of
    unsolicited email (UCE). This release fixes two bugs. One affects all
    servers that support the CHUNKING directive (specifically MS Exchange)
    and causes the truncation of the last 100 bytes of each message sent by
    another CHUNKING server. The second is a very minor bug that could
    reduce spam detection in some circumstances. All Exchange (or other
    CHUNKING server) users are recommended to upgrade immediately. To
    upgrade, simply replace assp.pl and rebuildspamdb.pl. (The docs are
    updated too.) Hopefully, this will be the last release before 1.0.0.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/assp/ John

PCGen 5.3.3 is available

    PCGen is a Java-based RPG character generator and maintenance program
    that works on all platforms (Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, etc). All
    datafiles are ASCII so they can be modified by users, and are available
    through the pcgendm project. An XML conversion is underway. We're very
    pleased to announce that with this release we now include Sword and
    Sorcery's Relics and Rituals! Thanks to all the volunteers who put the
    data together and to Tir Gwaith who saw it through to completion and
    got the publisher's approval on it! Mac OS X users - if you quit PCGen
    using close or quit, your preferences will not be saved. The preference
    files are only saved if you use the File->Exit menu item to exit PCGen.
    This is a java issue (our thanks to Conor for finding the reason for
    this long-standing issue!) This is a rather significant release - the
    monkeys have been busy since the last release! Read over the lists of
    changes to see what all has changed, but I'd like to highlight a few of
    them. A *drastic* improvement in speed has been effected by Jayme Cox,
    with some assists from Frugal and Scott Ettelsworth. Jayme made use of
    code Greg Binglemen put in there quite some time ago - and the results
    are wonderful! Felipe and Frugal maintain the Output Sheets excellence
    by squashing every single bug that has been reported and continuing to
    give the output sheet monkeys new toys to play with! Jonas has moved us
    to using the latest pdf generation libraries, which has made the output
    sheet monkeys even happier! If you use the pdf character sheets (which
    are way cool!) you will need to download an updated pdf library:
    http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/pcgen/pdf_new.zip?download unzip the
    above library into your pcgen's lib folder. We hope to have the 3.5 SRD
    (System Resource Document) ready for PCGen in 3-4 weeks. After that
    time we will move PCGen to be based upon java 1.4, which means that
    releases after that will require users to download java 1.4. We've been
    encouraging users to install java 1.4 since it runs faster than java
    1.3. Those on Mac OS 9, Mac OS X (10 - 10.1) will need to upgrade to
    Mac OS X (10.2 or higher) in order for their machine to handle java
    1.4. For users who have trouble getting the 3 zip files to unzip
    properly, we have some OS-specific installs that should help minimize
    the chance of install related errors. Links to these installs can be
    found at:
    These are the same PCGen everyone else uses, just packaged with
    installers which target Windows and Mac OS X users specifically.
    Typically there is a lag between when the official release is done and
    when these special installers are ready. We always recommend that users
    install new versions of PCGen in a 'new' directory. Below is a list of
    everything that has been addressed in this release. If you reported one
    of these, please verify that it is was addressed properly. PCGen is
    available at http://pcgen.sourceforge.net , and the main discussion
    discuss making your own custom lst files for use with PCGen, the data
    monkeys have made their home at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgenlistfilehelp and they pride
    themselves in being able to field all questions about the data - from
    very basic to very advanced. All three zips are required to run PCGen:
    pcgen533_part1of3.zip, pcgen533_part2of3.zip and pcgen533_part3of3.zip.
    Bugs 765749 Custom Class source field overwriting copied classes source
    765591 cannot open LST editor with a PC open 780673 PRETYPE in eqmod is
    only registering the primary type 781583 sorting of 's' and 'S' is
    different 770608 dex doubling to PCs with a dex bonus 774986 Elf stat
    bug 776391 BONUS:STAT|name|formula bug. was: Power Attack feat error
    770574 What kind of class is this!? 733595 Warning: Could not find
    class: Magical Beast 772036 [Bug] cML:Class not found: Blackguard
    744497 PREAPPLY Calculation bug after restart 769304 [BUG] Still really
    SLLLLOOOWWWW! (But better) 745491 PREAPPLY doubles AC for armor 766059
    Custom Race - Natural Weapon Broken 751346 Class Lst Editor - Bonus
    tags 709033 SPELL TAG - Need warning if spellbook = class name 775241
    Tooltip setting not saved 767755 Bug with BONUS:DC|ALL|1 in 5.2 769823
    PREREQs always true on Equip Customizer Features 784465 Update
    permission.htm to d20stl v 4.0. 775048 Update to fop 0.20.5 744499
    Temp. bonuses - Autoselect 744500 Temp. bonuses - Removing a bonus
    744552 PREAPPLY adds to total value carried 741882 Choice of HTML
    output sheets 744835 Temp. bonuses - Show calculated bonus 780582 point
    buy methods unsorted 775390 ALTCRITMULT for Double Weapons 772964
    PREFEAT: |CHECKMULT > ,CHECKMULT, at beginning 764727 Allow
    PREFEAT:#,Feat name (TYPE=subtype) 764741 Allow TYPE= in PREWEAPONPROF
    771274 PREAPPLY:ANYPC - allow spell Temp bonuses to non-casters 722050
    Abilities as a window should have a "Close" button PCGenDM:Bugs 715159
    Pouch (Belt) weight incorrect - should be 1/2 lb. 782790 rod and staff
    missing as base types 755984 Psionic spell Compat Prescience has wrong
    level 756762 srdclassescreaturespecific.lst references nonexistant file
    760855 SRD spell error for Spellstaff 772016 Mythic Races - Siarran
    Bladedancer needs to stack with Bard PCGenDM:New Source Material 780670
    SSS, Relics and Rituals PCGenDM:List File Fixes 737669 seasofblood
    PCGenDM:Tag Modification Requests 707325 PCC: GAME is now GAMEMODE
    750217 Inner Strength feat consolidation 763868 Allow template tags to
    overwrite tags from other files 626352 Uncanny Dodge to hidden feat.
    PCGenDocs:Bugs 784313 SPELLLIST format is wrong in datafilesclasses.htm
    784280 SAVEINFO in datafilesspells.htm misspelled 721103 Spells.lst
    TYPE tag example wrong 742115 HASSUBCLASS and COST 774175 Enhancements
    to ADD:SPELLCASTER PCGenDocs:Features 756295 SPELLLEVEL:CLASS &
    SPELLLEVEL:DOMAIN 772683 [DOC] Allow PREFEAT:#,Feat name (TYPE=subtype)
    755524 PREFEAT with ability to exclude type of feat 771932
    PREAPPLY:ANYPC for BONUS statements 750224 Docment CLASSES tag in
    skills.lst 754549 New tag: PREDR 752255 PREVISION 774083 ISLICENSED and
    LICENCE: tags need to be documented 741306 LICENSED: tag changed to
    ISLICENSED: 746450 BONUS:DC|ALL now DC|ALLSPELLS 752956 PREMULT -
    Multiple PREREQ PCGenDocs:Output Sheet Features 634040 SKILLSx.TOTAL
    (where x=level) 770382 [FREQ] Would like output token for base Grapple
    attack 769963 Expansion of |EQ....~..~..| token The PCGen Development
    Team

NUNit 2.1 Beta 2 Released

    NUNit is a Unit-testing framework for all .Net languages. This release
    includes separate configuration files for use with .NET versions 1.0
    and 1.1. Both versions are copied and the correct config for the
    current system is installed ready for use. A sample config file for use
    with tests built against NUnit 2.0 is included. Substantial changes
    have been made to error and exception reporting. The exception type is
    listed along with all inner exceptions. In the console runner, this
    includes a full stacktrace. The full trace for exceptions that are
    caught by the GUI runner is now available under the Tools | Exception
    Details... menu item. This release has been verified to install and run
    under Windows 98. The feature of watching for changes in the assemblies
    and reloading them automatically is disabled in this environment. We
    haven't tested under Windows ME, but believe it will work in that
    environment as well. https://www.sourceforge.net/projects/nunit

ai.planet v0.9.4 released!

    ai.planet is a virtual world for artificial intelligence. Developers
    can study and visualize algorithms in a versatile 3D environment.
    Version 0.9.4 Released August 5th 2003 http://aiplanet.sourceforge.net
    This new version of ai.planet includes multicolored trees, that evolve
    over time by producing varied fruits, which are randomly mutated by
    small degrees. Improved creature AI gives new predator/prey
    relationships. Interface improvements include a tool repeat button,
    jump button, new features on the populations form. There is a new Move
    tool to pick up objects with the mouse, reposition them, and throw
    them. Although the Ladybugs aren't always successful, if they are given
    a good environment they can last indefinitely, as this population
    survived well over 2.5 million ticks. Birds are now better at mating,
    and Hawks are better at catching the birds. Note: There is no selection
    pressure on the tree color, so they can and will change into any color.
    Also be aware of the known bugs, if you find a new one please report
    it. http://aiplanet.sourceforge.net

Slashdot
FSF's Opinion of the Apple Public Source License

    Stian Engen writes "Bradley Kuhn of the [0]FSF does [1]not recommend
    the release of new software using the [2]Apple Public Source License
    (APSL) 2.0 despite its [3]newly accuired Free Software License."
Links
    0. http://www.gnu.org/
    1. http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html
    2. http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/2.0.txt
    3. http://www.opensource.apple.com/news/2.0-announce.html

NASA's Sensor Web

    ddtstudio writes "[0]PC Mag has a [1]story about the Sensor Web: 'a
    cutting-edge application of networked sensor technology currently on
    the fast track at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL).' Not only a
    new way to test tech, but also perhaps a pervasive and inexpensive way
    to explore remote places such as Antarctica -- or Mars."
Links
    0. http://www.pcmag.com/
    1. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,1213113,00.asp

The Wireless Wardriving Rig

    An anonymous reader writes "If James Bond was into wireless hacking,
    [0]this would be his rig."
Links
    0. http://dp.penix.org/projects/bond/bond.html

LWCE Wrapup

    An anonymous reader writes "Extremetech.com reports that: 'Computer
    scientists from think tank SRI will present a novel take on distributed
    computing at LinuxWorld, all in a [0]search for a little lost penguin.'
    For more information on Centibots, head over to the [1]Centibots
    Project homepage." ReadthePaper writes "I just read a great interview
    with [2]Jon "Maddog" Hall of Linux International." And finally, Hawkxor
    writes "Sun Microsystems VP Jonathon Schwartz demoed Sun's new
    desktop-oriented Linux distro '[3]Mad Hatter' and 3-D Desktop
    Environment 'Looking Glass' at LinuxWorld. Sounds pretty cool."
Links
    0. http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1210529,00.asp
    1. http://www.ai.sri.com/centibots/
    2. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,1212461,00.asp
    3. http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2126/030806madhatter/

Hams Complain about Powerline Broadband

    dwm writes "Think [0] broadband over power lines (BPL) would be
    wonderful? There might be some collateral damage. The [1] American
    Radio Relay League (your friendly neighborhood ham radio operators)
    have documented [2]dramatic HF radio interference in areas where BPL is
    being tested (Check out the [3]video of actual interference)."
Links
    0. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/02/11/1340220&tid=99
    1. http://www.arrl.org/
    2. http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/08/2/?nc=1
    3. http://216.167.96.120/BPL_Trial-small.mpg

Following the Spam Trail

    An anonymous reader writes "MSNBC's Bob Sullivan doggedly [0]follows a
    spam trail from Alabama to Argentina to find out who actually benefits
    from spam. The beneficiaries aren't necessarily the pasty faced, high
    school drop out industrial spammers we have gotten to know, but well
    known companies."
Links
    0. http://www.msnbc.com/news/940490.asp?0ql=c9p

Will Classic Games Disappear Forever?

    Knightfall writes "Who doesn't remember pumping tons of quarters into
    games like Joust and Tron? I shudder at the thought of what could have
    become of that large quantity of money. Well, it seems remembering
    those games may soon be all that is left. As companies are dropping
    support, but not property rights to our old favorites, many are in
    danger of vanishing forever. There are a few trying to prevent this
    though. An article in [0]Wired tells a little about it. I for one still
    find these games, on a pure gameplay level, better than most anything
    out there currently. What can we do to prevent them from no longer
    being available?"
Links
    0. http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,59948,00.html

Free Software as a Public Good

    [0]acone asks: "Have any national governments taken measures to
    subsidize open source projects? I'm aware that many have endorsed Linux
    in particular, and free software in general, but I was wondering about
    actual funding. I ask because the notion of a good built and maintained
    by the community almost inevitably suggests that such be treated as a
    public good. Many of the public goods we now take for granted--such as
    police, public libraries, and public fire departments--were
    historically provided either by private enterprises or by
    loosely-organized volunteers, neither of which have proven nearly as
    effectively for the common goods as their current government-run
    equivalents. An excellent example is the organization of the police
    force, libraries and fire department in colonial Philadelphia, in which
    these services became established in a very grassroots manner, then
    gradually gained acceptance as something that the state should provide.
    This pattern looks temptingly applicable to free software. In addition
    to the current, community-based mechanisms in which free software is
    developed, wouldn't it be beneficial to have dedicated groups of
    professional free software developers, paid by national governments to
    serve the overall interests of society? Seems to me like such would be
    a Good Thing."
Links
    0. http://acone at uchicago dot edu

RFID Will Stop Terrorists?

    [0]W33dz writes "Retailers and manufacturers around the world are
    enamored with the new [1]radio frequency identification, or RFID,
    devices. The problem? What about when a thief or the police want to
    find out what you have in your house? Oddly enough, according to a
    [2]Wired magazine article, the United States' largest food companies
    and retailers will try to win [3]Dept of Homeland Security approval for
    radio identification devices by portraying the technology as an
    essential tool for keeping the nation's food supply safe from
    terrorists. This will give them blanket immunity from all law suits
    related to the product."
Links
    0. mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    1. http://www.aimglobal.org/technologies/rfid/
    2. http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,59624,00.html
    3. http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/index.jsp

Consumer Reports Discovers Tech Support Sucks

    fuzzykitty writes "CNN just posted an article about how [0]commercial
    software is filled with bugs and customers are used as an army of
    unpaid testers. It also goes on about the lack of good technical
    support. Best quote: 'I'm unaware of any company that would shortchange
    the customer in their speed to get the software to market,' LOL"
Links
    0. http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/08/07/software.glitches/index.html

Freshmeat
Active Knowledge Base 1.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131980/

    ActiveKB is an easy to use, powerful knowledge base software package.
    It features simple installation, a WYSIWYG HTML editor, attachments,
    unlimited questions and answers, an active response system, and much
    more. It is also totally rebrandable.

Advanced Web Ranking 1.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131987/

    Advanced Web Ranking is a tool that will help you check your Web site
    position on all major search engines. It saves you hours of tedious
    work while monitoring your Web site's search engine position. It
    generates tabular and graphical reports that will help you check not
    just the position of your Web site, but the position of your
    competitors' Web sites as well.

AIM Sniff 0.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132019/

    AIM Sniff is a utility for monitoring and archiving AOL Instant
    Messenger messages across a network. It can be used to monitor for
    cases of harassment or warez trading. It has the ability to do a live
    dump (actively sniff the network) or read a PCAP file and parse the
    file for IM messages. You also have the option of dumping the
    information to a MySQL database or STDOUT. AIM Sniff will also monitor
    for an AIM login and then perform an SMB lookup on the originating
    computer in order to match NT Domain names with AIM login names
    (handles). A very basic Web frontend is included.

Alana 1.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132060/

    Alana is a highly responsive Turing Machine simulator. The
    documentation contains an introduction to Turing Machines as well as
    some interesting theoretical information (halting problem, busy beaver)
    and pointers to further literature.

Animal Shelter Manager 1.20 PRE 3 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131985/

    Animal Shelter Manager is a complete computer solution for animal
    sanctuaries and rescue shelters. It features complete animal
    management, document generation, full reporting, charts, Internet Web
    site publishing, and more.

arCHMage 0.0.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132004/

    arCHMage is an extensible reader and decompiler for files in the CHM
    format. This is the format used by Microsoft HTML help, and is also
    known as Compiled HTML. arCHMage is based on chmlib by Jed Wing.

ArX 1.0pre10
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131993/

    ArX is a distributed revision control system that features distributed
    repositories, fancy merging, support for renaming, unobtrusive
    operation, a Web interface, and revision libraries. It consists of a
    collection of shell scripts and C code, and brings together many shell
    utilities, SSH, HTTP, diff, and patch.

Bauk 1.81.4 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132066/

    Bauk is a high-performance HTTP server for Unix-like operating systems.
    It brings together a rich set of features with real configurability and
    ease of administration. Some of Bauk's features include virtual hosts,
    URL aliases, virtual host aliases, execution of CGI programs, HTTP
    authentication: Basic method, directory browsing, network traffic per
    virtual host quotas, connections per client IP number quotas, access
    restriction by IP address, configurable HTTP log format and location,
    multiprocess architecture, simple configuration, easy administration,
    flexibility, and much more.

Bookmark4U 2.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132002/

    Bookmark4U provides you a comfortable bookmarking environment. With
    Bookmark4U, users can access to their favorite Web sites everywhere
    just by one click without remembering URLs of them any more. The
    bookmark data are stored in a database in the server, and can be
    searched very easily. Bookmarks can be arranged in folders in any
    depth. For each bookmark, visit information is managed, such as the
    visit counter, or the last visit time and date, etc. It is written in
    PHP script language, and requires a database interface such as MySQL.

Build it Fast 0.1.17
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131757/

    Build it Fast (BIF) is a PHP Framework. It contains several classes
    that help you develop complex Web applications in a short amount of
    time. It brings the concept of the 'widget' to Web development. It
    features Cascade Skins and transparent session management.

Cherokee 0.4.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132017/

    Cherokee is a tiny, ultrafast, lightweight Web server. It is
    implemented entirely in C, and has no dependencies beyond a standard C
    library. It is embeddable, extensible with plug-ins, and supports
    on-the-fly configuration by reading files or strings.

Choclate for XDoclet 0.1.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132013/

    Chocolate for XDoclet is an EJB designer tool with XDoclet support for
    the Borland JBuilder IDE. It has been designed to simplify the
    development of Enterprise JavaBeans for various supported J2EE servers.
    It helps developers create and edit JavaBean source files that will be
    processed by the XDoclet code generation engine.

ClairVoyanT SysAdmin 0.1.9
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132080/

    CVTSA is a tool that allows a user to run arbitrary commands remotely
    on a Linux system by sending email to the system. It maintains security
    by requiring a password to be present in all email messages that
    provide commands. There is a command wrapper file where the user can
    set denied commands. It also uses a few other security techniques which
    are outlined in the documentation. CVTSA can use a local fetcher to
    download email, or it can create a connection to a remote mail server
    to download email by itself. There is also an option that allows a
    pseudo-random password to be created.

Clipperton 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132056/

    Clipperton is a meta theme based on the bluec*rve theme with an icon
    theme (with actions icons), a KDE style, a KDE window decoration, a
    color scheme, a splash screen, and a wallpaper.

Coherent Mail Gateway 0.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132003/

    Coherent Mail Gateway is intended to be a very easy to set up MTA using
    SMTP and POP3. Greylisting is used on the SMTP daemon to reduce spam.
    In addition, quite a lot of checks on the validity of information from
    the SMTP client (such as claimed server name and sender) are carried
    out, and anyone caught telling lies is disconnected. As well as
    greylisting, black and white listing is also supported. The target
    market is small offices and home users with static IPs. Others can use
    the system but its value will be limited. Dial-up is not yet supported.

Crimson Fields 0.3.5
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131982/

    Crimson Fields is a tactical war game in the tradition of Battle Isle.
    Mission objectives range from defending strategically vital locations
    to simply destroying all enemy forces in the area. Tools are available
    to create custom maps and campaigns. The original Battle Isle maps can
    be played if the player has a copy of the game files.

cThreads 0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131989/

    cThreads is a forum to be combined with cMeeting but can also be used
    as a standalone forum. It's completely based on files, so no database
    is required. Each thread is one file. Quoting works better than in most
    other forums. Multiple moderators with different privileges are
    supported. Moderators can remove single messages or whole threads and
    can also restore them. User authentication is done with HTTP with the
    possibility of posting anonymous or as a named guest.

Danpei 2.9.2 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132008/

    Danpei is a GTK+ based image viewer. It allows you to browse through
    your image files in thumbnail form, and it can rename, cut, and paste
    them easily with an interface similar to that of Windows Explorer.

Debt Minder 1.8.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132069/

    Debt Minder is a specialized tool for debt management. It is user
    friendly, complete, functional, and economical, and considers account
    subtleties such as introductory APRs, varying interest rates, split
    interest rates, external payments, and more. Its visualization
    capabilities include pie charts, line graphs, bar charts, area graphs,
    debt to income ratios, and colored payoff tables. An integrated
    amortization calculator for American and Canadian methods is included,
    and payoff schedules can be exported to XML, CSV, and tab delimited
    files

Distributed Hardware Evolution 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131996/

    This project allows the distribution of a genetic algorithm evolving
    hardware designs across the Internet by setting up an island on each
    clients' PC which will evolve during idle time. Individuals from these
    islands will migrate between each other as they compete for survival.
    All source code is available and is generalizable to any GA or
    distributed processing task.

Distributor load balancer 0.7
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132052/

    Distributor is a software TCP load balancer. Like other load balancers,
    it accepts connections and distributes them to an array of back end
    servers. It is compatible with any standard TCP protocol (HTTP, LDAP,
    IMAP, etc.) and is also IPv6 compatible. It has many unique and
    advanced features and a high-performance architecture.

dmidecode 2.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132063/

    Dmidecode is a tool for dumping a computer's DMI (some say SMBIOS)
    table contents in a human-readable format. It was first written by Alan
    Cox and is now being maintained by Jean Delvare. Part of its code can
    be found in the Linux kernel, because DMI data may be used to enable or
    disable specific portions of code depending on the hardware vendor.
    Thus, dmidecode is mainly used to detect system "signatures"
    and add them to the kernel source code when needed.

DSPAM 2.6.4B1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132031/

    DSPAM is a server-side anti-spam agent for UNIX email servers. It
    masquerades as the email server's local delivery agent and
    filters/learns spam using a Bayesian statistical approach which
    provides an administratively maintenance-free, self-learning anti-spam
    service. Each email is broken down into its most interesting tokens,
    each assigned a spam probability. All probabilities are then combined
    to produce a statistical probability of spam. This approach, applied to
    a mature corpus of email, has the potential to yield a 99.75% success
    rate with less than a 0.03% chance of false positives.

Elaya 0.5.5 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131936/

    Elaya is a compiler for the Elaya language, a modern object-oriented
    language with some unique features.

Experiment001 1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131820/

    Experiment001 is a theme created from the image Experiment001 from
    art.softshape.com.

FCKeditor 1.2.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131998/

    FCKeditor is an HTML/DHTML editor for ASP, ASP.NET, ColdFusion, PHP,
    and JavaScript that brings to the Web much of the powerful
    functionality of known desktop editors like Word. It's very
    lightweight, and doesn't require any kind of installation on the client
    computer.

Formsess 2.0.0 RC1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132057/

    Formsess is a Smarty-powered forms framework. It adds support for an
    XHTML-compliant set of tags, directly inspired from standard form tags,
    and allows you to skip most common steps implied in forms manipulation,
    validation (Javascript and server side) and data persistence (any
    validated field is automatically kept).

Free Pascal Compiler 1.0.10
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132011/

    The Free Pascal Compiler is a Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Delphi-compatible
    32bit Pascal Compiler. It comes with a fully TP 7.0-compatible run-time
    library. Some extensions have been added to the language, like function
    overloading. Shared libraries can be linked. Basic Delphi support is
    implemented with classes, exceptions, RTTI, and ansistrings. A Free
    Component Library (FCL) is available with the base classes. Bindings
    for X11, ncurses, GTK, OpenGL, zlib, mysql, interbase and postgres are
    available.

ftpproxy 1.2.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132021/

    ftp.proxy is an application level gateway for FTP. It allows either
    forwarding to a specific host or optional client side server selection
    w/o allowed host list, access and command control trough external
    programs.

g3data 1.3.2 (GTK-2.0)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131986/

    g3data is a program for extracting data from graphs (i.e., scanned
    graphs from scientific publications). It can read many different image
    formats and outputs the extracted data through stdout or to a file.

Ganglia 2.5.4 (Monitoring core)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132046/

    Ganglia is a scalable distributed monitoring system for
    high-performance computing systems such as clusters and grids. It is
    based on a hierarchical design targeted at federations of clusters.
    Ganglia is currently in use on over 500 clusters around the world and
    has scaled to handle clusters with 2000 nodes.

gimp-print 4.3.19 (Development)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132074/

    Gimp-Print is a collection of very high quality printer drivers for
    UNIX/Linux. The goal of this project is uncompromising print quality
    and robustness. Included with this package is the Print plugin for the
    GIMP (hence the name), a CUPS driver, and two drivers (traditional and
    IJS-based) for Ghostscript that may be compiled into that package. This
    driver package is Foomatic-compatible and provides Foomatic data to
    enable plug and play with many print spoolers. In addition, various
    printer maintenance utilities are included. Many users report that the
    quality of Gimp-Print on high end Epson Stylus printers matches or
    exceeds the quality of the drivers supplied for Windows and Macintosh.

GreenThumb 1060336327
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131994/

    GreenThumb is a Java Jabber client applet. It supports SSL, group
    chatting, and much more.

Gtk2-Perl 0.93
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132042/

    Gtk2-Perl allows Perl developers to write GTK+ 2.x applications. The
    bindings use an object oriented syntax that attempts to remain close to
    the C API, but take a Perlish approach where appropriate.

Hastymail 0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132050/

    Hastymail is a fast, secure, RFC-compliant, cross- platform IMAP/SMTP
    client application providing a clean Web interface for sending and
    reading email. It is designed for speed and is small but offers a
    useful feature set making for an excellent tool for users when away
    from their desktop client. No frames, cookies, or javascript support is
    required, and a wide range of browsers is supported (including text
    based and even PDA browsers like Blazer).

hdup 1.6.18 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132055/

    hdup is used to back up a filesystem. Features include encryption of
    the archive (with mcrypt), compression of the archive (bzip/gzip/none),
    the ability to transfer the archive to a remote host or restoring from
    a remote host (with ssh), the ability to split up archives, and no
    obscure archive format (it is a normal compressed tar file).

Hog Bay Notebook 2.0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132028/

    Hog Bay Notebook provides a central location for all of your
    miscellaneous information. It allows you to search your data and keep
    it well organized.

Java Service Wrapper 3.0.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131979/

    Java Service Wrapper is a configurable tool which allows Java
    applications to be installed and controlled like native NT or Unix
    services. It includes fault correction software to automatically
    restart crashed or frozen JVMs. It is built for flexibility.

Kismet 3.0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132010/

    Kismet is an 802.11b network sniffer and network dissector. It is
    capable of sniffing using most wireless cards, automatic network IP
    block detection via UDP, ARP, and DHCP packets, Cisco equipment lists
    via Cisco Discovery Protocol, weak cryptographic packet logging, and
    Ethereal and tcpdump compatible packet dump files. It also includes the
    ability to plot detected networks and estimated network ranges on
    downloaded maps or user supplied image files.

lesspipe.sh 1.36
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131988/

    lesspipe.sh is an input filter for the pager less as described in
    less's man page. The script runs under a ksh-compatible shell (ksh,
    bash, zsh) and allows you to use less to view compressed files,
    archives, and files contained in archives. Viewing files by accessing a
    device file is implemented to some extent (DOS filesystems and tar
    files). It supports the following formats (both as plain and compressed
    files using compress, gzip, bzip2, or zip): tar, nroff, (sh)ar, HTML,
    executables, directories, RPM and Debian (.deb) archives, MS-Word, PS,
    DVI, PDF, Perl, and MP3.

Local Area Security Knoppix 0.3b
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132072/

    Local Area Security Knoppix is a 'Live CD' distribution based on
    Knoppix but with a strong emphasis on security tools and small
    footprint. There are four different versions of L.A.S. Knoppix to fit
    three specific needs. These are a Firewall/IDS-centric version, a
    penetration testing/forensics version, a MiniCD-size version covering a
    full spectrum of tools, and a SECSERV secure mini-server that runs off
    CD.

log4cxx 0.9.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131977/

    log4cxx is a port to C++ of the log4j project.

LON-CAPA 0.99.4
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132006/

    LON-CAPA (The LearningOnline network with CAPA) is a learning content
    and course management system. It is similar to BlackBoard and WebCT in
    many respects, but with a focus on science and math in higher
    education.

Mailbox Copy 0.93
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132059/

    Mailbox Copy is a set of tools to copy/archive email accounts. It works
    with IMAP, mbox, and maildir mailboxes. You can use the copy tool to
    migrate from one IMAP server to another, to archive your IMAP email to
    a local mbox copy, to move some maildir email to an IMAP server, etc.
    This project was previously called IMAP Copy/imapcp because it worked
    only with IMAP. It has been renamed to reflect its more general
    purpose.

Maintain 2.1-beta2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132033/

    Maintain is a multi-user, Web-based management tool for managing host
    information for building DNS, DHCP, VMPS, and Radius configurations.

MakeModules 0.02
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132030/

    MakeModules (mamo) consists of a collection of Makefile snippets called
    modules. Each module defines features for a single or some related
    common tasks. For instance, the module "C" defines features
    for generating object files from C sources, the module "Pod"
    defines features to generate documentation from pod sources, and the
    module "Install" defines features for installing files in
    various ways locally or on a remote host. The important module
    "Subdirectory" defines recursive operation in a directory
    tree. In no way are tasks limited to programming. For instance, mamo
    can be used to maintain a Web site.

monotone 0.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132029/

    monotone is a distributed version control system with a flat peer
    model, cryptographic version naming, meta-data certificates,
    decentralized authority, and overlapping branches. It works out of a
    transactional version database stored in a regular file. Network
    communication is mediated via netnews.

msmtp 0.3.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132024/

    msmtp is a simple program that works as an "SMTP plugin" for
    Mutt and (probably) other MUAs. It forwards messages to an SMTP server
    which does the delivery. Features include various SMTP AUTH methods,
    TLS-encrypted connections, and IPv6 support.

MWChat 6.7 (Stable)
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132043/

    MWChat (My Web based Chat) is a Web-based chat system that uses PHP4
    and an SQL backend database. It has support for multiple rooms and
    languages, a large number of IRC-like commands, private messages and
    rooms, message encryption, buddy lists, logging, registered users, chat
    profiles, file sharing, and more. It is a very lightweight,
    full-featured, and secure chat room.

Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME 2.0
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132036/

    The Nokia Developer's Suite for J2ME is an application development
    environment that can be used as a stand alone tool or with Borland or
    Sun IDE products to build J2ME applications. It features integrated
    deployment to FTP servers and an audio converter for MIDI and XML
    tones. It contains the Nokia Series 40 MIDP Concept SDK with the
    according MIDP APIs, classes, documentation, and sample applications to
    build, debug, and run J2ME applications in a simulated environment. It
    is designed for Red Hat Linux 7.2.

omniORB 4.0.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132014/

    omniORB is an Object Request Broker (ORB) which implements version 2.6
    of the Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA). It supports
    the C++ and Python language bindings, is fully multithreaded, uses IIOP
    as the native transport, and comes complete with a COS Naming Service.
    omniORB is possibly the fastest available C++ ORB.

omniORBpy 2.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132018/

    omniORBpy is a high-performance CORBA 2.6 ORB for Python. It consists
    of an interface between Python and the omniORB C++ library. IDL is
    compiled into pure Python code, so new IDL interfaces can be used
    without involving the C++ compiler.

pal 0.2.2
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132061/

    pal is a commandline utility which displays a color calendar and marks
    approaching events and holidays. It supports several different types of
    recurring events (one time, annual, monthly, etc.). Events are defined
    in text files, and pal is distributed with files for significant
    holidays and events. pal is similar to both the Unix "cal"
    command and OpenBSD's "calendar" command.

Perl HL7 Toolkit 0.67
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132023/

    Perl HL7 Toolkit provides a number of Perl libraries and scripts for
    developing HL7-capable applications in Perl.

Pogo 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132001/

    Pogo is a lightweight, elegant, customizable application launcher for
    X11.

Posadis 0.60.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132083/

    Posadis is a domain name server for Unix and Win32 systems. It can both
    act as an authoritive and as a caching DNS server, and it supports
    standard DNS master files, zone transfers, and DNS Notify. Its modular
    structure allows plug-ins to define new zone types and add new
    functionality.

Posadis Master file editor 0.60.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132084/

    Mfedit is a graphical editor for DNS master files based on GTK+ and
    Poslib. Using this tool, you can add, modify, and remove resource
    records, and run syntax checks on your DNS zones. It supports standard
    DNS master files as well as some BIND extensions.

Poslib DNS library 1.0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132085/

    Poslib is a library which provides easy access to the Domain Name
    System. The client part can be used to create DNS client applications,
    while the server part lets you easily create a multi-threaded DNS
    server program, portable to many operating systems including Linux,
    FreeBSD, and Windows.

prc-eclipse 0.2.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132067/

    prc-eclipse is an Eclipse plugin that provides support for the
    GNU-based PalmOS development tools, prc-tools. It provides two useful
    features: The first is to allow the use of the Eclipse graphical
    debugger interface instead of the textual gdb interface. The second is
    (searchable) access to PalmSource's extensive online help through
    Eclipse's built-in help system. These combine with the C/C++
    Development Tools to make a powerful development environment.

ProFTPDTools 1.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/131990/

    ProFTPDTools is a Web interface for managing users and groups in a
    setup of ProFTPd with mod_sql. It provides a session-based login system
    for admins and users. Users can manage their account data via a Web
    interface. Admins are able to change normal users to admins, and can
    enable and disable accounts. Formatted ftpwho output is also provided.
    English and German language files are included.

pWhiteboard 0.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132037/

    pWhiteboard can be thought of as a single-page Wiki. It creates a Web
    page with built-in WYSIWYG editing, thanks to interactivetools'
    htmlArea. You can edit the whiteboard contents at any time, and save a
    snapshot to create a permanent record.

PyPE 1.4.1
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132078/

    PyPE (Python Programmers Editor) was written in order to offer a
    lightweight but powerful editor for those of you who think emacs is too
    much and idle is too little. Syntax highlighting is included out of the
    box, as is multiple open documents via tabs. Being written in Python
    and wxPython allows PyPE to be used on basically every platform
    available.

qdk 1.05
http://freshmeat.net/releases/132038/

    qdk (Quick DocbooK) is a little utility designed to simplify the
    creation of DocBook documentation in a very quick way from a text file.
    It's user-extensible, and has built-in support for bibliographical