Hello Sujeeva,

You did not provide full information about your OTRS environment such as
modules you use (Tickets, CMDB, Changes...) and additional addons. You server
sizing might be sufficient, it depends on number of tickets and concurrent user
connections.

I will give you some insight on our project, we implemented for our customer.
It was OTRS-ITSM (latest version 4.x) with some addons with number of customer
users/agents similar to yours (it was 2500/50).

Default OTRS installation did not pass load test performed by customer (holding
refresh button in web browser for some time ☺) . Test showed two issues:

1.      User experience of other users was impacted and OTRS became unusable.

2.      Eventually OTRS ended up in Internal Server error.

We analyzed it and found out that:

-         first issue was caused by the fact that in default installation all
HTTP requests (both dynamic and static content) are processed by single Apache
server. Even after the first request for dynamic content (*.pl) was processed,
being flooded by requests, it took long time to return all required static
content.

-        second issue was more peculiar and it was caused by memory leak in
mod_proxy, which caused that after every single request, apache process was
using more memory.

We solved it this way:

1.      We added one extra apache server. It serves all OTRS static content
(css, javascript, images). Other HTTP requests (*.pl) are forwarded to the
original apache server.

2.      We used mpm_prefork_module, which is configured to provide more apache
worker processes and also restarts the worker processes after defined number of
handled requests.

I hope this will help you and maybe others when trying to squeeze more
performance from the OTRS.

Martin Jerga