"Jeremy Neal Kelly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "alexrousseau_jta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> > I forgot to ask: When you say "marginally slower", is it
> > still fast enough to load a 2-bit-depth 160x160 bitmap
> > in 250ms or less?
>
> I'm glad to be of service! As for the 'slowness', my (rough)
> understanding is that it has to do with the write protection
> affecting the storage area; database operations need to account
> for this, whereas operations on the dynamic heap do not. (Perhaps
> there is other upkeep associated with databases -- someone else
> could better answer that.) Anyway, this upkeep occurs at the
> record level, and once it is accomplished, read and write
> operations take place (I believe) at the same speed they would
> on the dynamic heap. Therefore, an application processing many
> small records likely would demonstrate a performance loss from
> using databases, but one such as yours with (relatively) few
> records will not.

My storyboards (for 10 minute films) would hold up to 100 shots,
each holding an average of 3 drawings, hence 300 records, the latter
being stored in the drawings database (per your earlier suggestion).
I can see this thing becoming huge if the user is working on a few
films. But I'm not too worried about that yet. I'll do a db access
performance test in a few days and that will help me decide whether
to cache or not to cache.

> Would someone care to confirm my thinking here?
>
> As for loading your bitmaps in a quarter-second -- well, I haven't
> actually tried it, but I'd be surprised if it were any slower than
> that.

Best !
Alex