The 64K limitation I think is an arbitrary choice. If I recall
correctly, the chunk header allows up to 16M chunks, but they limit it
to 64K because the hotsync protocol only supports up to 64K record
sizes.

Palm OS 1.0 and 2.0 had memory heaps that were limited to 64K, so it wasn't actually possible to allocate a block of memory larger than that size. This heap structure was reworked in Palm OS 3.0, but the HotSync protocol wasn't fixed to support these large chunks. Palm OS 3.5 provided a back door to allocating large chunks, and this is used by the MemGluePtrNew call in the glue library included in Palm OS SDK 5.0 R2.

--
Ben Combee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CodeWarrior for Palm OS technical lead