I am working on a project for our Joint Communications (911) manager who
needs certain information and an application to access it on his Palm
device. The data is very simple, consisting of one numeric (UInt32 will
suffice) and three variable length text fields. Unfortunately, the
number of records is over 152,000. Even when exported to a tab-delimited
text file, it's over 9 Megs. We tried using MobileDB as an alternative
for a custom app, but the pdb creation interfacce chokes on anything
over 50,000 records. I was still able to create a compatible pdb and
transfer it to the SD card, but MobileDB was only able to display about
9,502 records. So, I guess a custom app is called for.

If there were fewer records, I'd have no issues, since I've been using
Data Manager calls from the get-go. I haven't a clue, however, as to how
to open/access (read only) records in a pdb stored on an SD card, and
can't seem to find decent documentation (by "decent" I mean
step-by-step), nor can I find any source code examples in the recipes on
Palmsource. I do have the Palm OS Bible as well as Rhodes & McKeehan's
Palm OS Programming (2nd ed), but neither of those even refers to
expansion cards.

Any suggestions, leads or sample code source links would be
appreciated!

Steven M. Jerrett
Systems Analyst
City of Columbia, MO