David,

>Has anyone figured out a way to make it scale the decoded images to fit a
>desired width/height, as opposed to the fixed 1,2,4,8 scaling modes?

The shared library is a port / front-end to the IJG routines.  Currently the
only scaling I could find in that source was the 1/2/4/8.

I just spent some time playing with this library last night.  Very easy to use,
at least for decoding.  I never tried encoding.  Alas, the performance hit vs
bitmaps may be too large for me to endure for the project I hoped to use it on.

But many thanks to Yves Piguet for the library.

Doug