Natalie Happenhofer wrote:
Hi!

I have written a Writer-Plugin and after (at last) successfully compiling and linking it within Paraview, I tried to load it with the PluginManager, and in the Paraview/build/bin directory I found my libVdcWriter.so, but loading fails. I get the error message: "libVdcWriter.so: no such file or directory" But the file is in the build/bin - directory, the plugin-manager-browser found it! Does anyone know what could be the problem here? Is it possible that I missed to link something, any library from paraview so that this plugin can be loaded?

It sounds like the dynamic linker/loader , ld, isn't finding your libVdcWriter.so library. first you can verify by running ldd on your plugin and searching for "not found". like this:

ldd /path/to/libMyPlugin.so | grep "not found"

This will list the libraries that are not found. There are a number of ways to remedy such an issue. The easiest (especially for debugging purposes) is to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the command line to add locations to ld's search path. You know where the missing library is located then you can run paraview like this:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/missing/lib/folder /path/to/paraview

or you can export this variable in your shell.

and by the way, a stupid question: linux .so - files are equivalent to windows .dll-files, true? so while I´m loading my plugins as .dlls in windows, with linux they have the ending .so, right?

thx a lot,
Natalie Happenhofer

Burlen Loring
Kitware, Inc.