ParaView is capable of reading in a regular grid of data, mapping a color to
it, and drawing it scaled on the screen.  If your data is simply a raw array
written to disk, then ParaView can read that in directly.  Does that basically
solve your problem?

There are two ways to "erase" the useless points.  The first way is to simply
set the color map up so that these values are simply drawn in the background
color.  The second way is to use the "Threshold" filter to remove the
uninteresting points.  The Threshold filter will convert the data from a
regular array to an unstructured grid.  A warning about using Threshold though:
the unstructured grid it converts data to is a less efficient representation so
it is possible to actually require more data for the result if not a lot is
removed.

-Ken