I finally have an answer for this. You first export the custom proxy
to an xml file. Then you do:

servermanager.ProxyManager().LoadCustomProxyDefinitions("<filename here>")
servermanager.updateModules()

After this, you can create your custom proxy like any other proxy:

custom_filter = servermanager.filters.Foo()

-berk