Manuel,

A easy data format for your application would be the EnSight binary format:

1) The mesh topology/geometry is stored in a seperate file. (I have seen remarks that it can be a one-time write, however, I write topology and coordinates every time step but "direct" the reader to only read the coordinates -- my mesh distorts with time during execution.)

2) It provides for scalar, vector, and 2nd-order tensor data at each note and in each cell.

3) It stores each point/cell variable vs time in separate files.

4) The association between variable name and the data (in its file) takes place in a *case file, see the attached example. (A simple trick: *.case files are ASCII text and easily edited. After two runs, one can write a third *.case file (assuming the geometry files and time stepping is identical) and reference two files with two, new variable names like Velocity-Reference and Velocity-Trial-Algorithm#1 and their respective data files. A delta-Vel difference can be done with ParaView's Calculator filter.)

5) File Format: http://www2.ensight.com/90_manuals/90-UserManual.pdf Chapter 11

If you want to see a Fortran-90 routine that writes EnSight, let me know.

Samuel

Manuel González wrote:
I am planning to use Paraview to post-process results from my in-house
developed simulation software.
After reading the “Paraview Guide”, the “File Formats for VTK” and googling
data formats, I still find very difficult to select the data format (among
those supported by Paraview) which is more appropriate to my needs:

- Type of dataset: polygonal mesh. - Time dependent. Topology is constant over time, but geometry (point coordinates) and attributes are not. - Dataset size: 1e5 points, 1e5 lines, 1e5 2D polygons, 2-4 attributes per
line and polygon, 100-500 time steps.

Of course, I would like to avoid writing the same (constant) topology for
each time step. And it would be great if the topology could be stored in a separate file
from the rest of the dataset (I often run several simulations for the same
topology).

I would appreciate any help to select the right data format for this kind of
dataset.

Best regards,
Manuel

Manuel J. Gonzalez Castro