Hi Stephane,

On the VTK side which might be able to be done in the scripting layer
of ParaView also (but not sure), you will need 2 things:

1) tell the render window to send alpha :
view->GetRenderWindow()->SetAlphaBitPlanes(1);
2) request the Alpha value on the window capture filter :
this->WindowCapture->SetInputBufferTypeToRGBA();

And if you write a PNG image, the background will be transparent.

Seb