Hi Kate,

There's also an easy way to create a toolbar via xml (example below, add "show_in_toolbar" and "icon"attributes).

<ParaViewFilters>
<Category name="Common" menu_label="&amp;Common" preserve_order="1"
    show_in_toolbar="1">
<Proxy group="filters" name="Calculator" icon=":/pqWidgets/Icons/pqCalculator24.png"/>
</Category>
</ParaViewFilters>

But you are asking about menus...

On the wiki there is some info about adding menus http://www.itk.org/Wiki/Plugin_HowTo#Adding_a_Menu it's almost the same as adding a toolbar.There is an example of a toolbar that creates sources, Examples/Plugins/SourceToolbar to work from. That shows how to create a source but you need a filter.

The difference between creating sources and filters is that for filters you have to specify the filters input (see pqObjectBuilder::createFilter).

here is a snippet that would locate the selected sources. I think you could use this to get the source for your filter. Then it will be an easy change to the SourceToolbar example.

    pqApplicationCore* core = pqApplicationCore::instance();
pqServerManagerSelection sels = *core->getSelectionModel()->selectedItems();
    pqPipelineSource* source = 0;
    pqServerManagerModelItem* item = 0;
    if(sels.empty())
    {
        return NULL;
    }
    pqServerManagerSelection::ConstIterator iter = sels.begin();

    item = *iter;
    source = dynamic_cast<pqPipelineSource*>(item);

Sorry to be so imprecise, and note I have't tried this. Hope it helps
Burlen