I actually am increasing my extents (extent[1]+1 for example) to compensate for this,
yes you added one. that is needed to compute the number of cells from the extents. you still need to add one to the result (the number of cells) to get the number of points. As is, you are not looking up the values you think you are in your input array. You won't crash since you'll stay within the point array bounds.

for cells compute the number of them like this:

   ncx = ext[1]-ext[0]+1
   ncy = ext[3]-ext[2]+1
   ncxy = ncx*ncy
   ncz = ext[3]-ext[2]+1

and in your loop index a cell at i,j,k like this:

   cidx = k*ncxy + j*ncx+i

For points compute the number of them like this:

   npx = ncx+1
   npy = ncy+1
   npxy = npx*npy
   npz = ncz+1

and in your loop index a point at i,j,k like this:

   pidx = k*npxy + j*npx+i

I agree that i should be the fastest changing index in some sense, but because I have to step over all values of i,j,k to read the entire array into my python array, I don't see why any other looping direction would be quicker?
This has to do with the cache inside your cpu. When you use a memory location the cpu automatically loads the adjacent locations(a cache line) into the cache. In memory i direction changes fastest, meaning location (i+1,j,k) is adjacent following location (i,j,k). when you access the adjacent memory locations in your loops sequentially your data are more likely to be in the cache and hence a faster. On the other hand memory location (i,j,k+1) is npx*npy elements away from location (i,j,k). That's usually quite a number of cache lines away and hence less likely to already be in the cache resulting in a cache miss. Execution stalls while the cpu loads the cache line. the cache is fairly small so a cache miss likely results in some data being evicted to make room for the new data. When this happens on every array access it's called thrashing.This is what happens when you use the wrong order in your loops.

I think you're right, it does seem to construct a list explicitly, but I don't really know what the alternative is?
I am not a great python programmer, but one way would be to use a while loop:

k=ext[4]
while(k<=ext[5]):
#
  j=ext[2]