On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Paluszek, Lukasz <
lukasz.palus...@airbus.com> wrote:

> I tested the patch by simply replacing the two modified files and the new
> peeling worked with parallel rendering.

Great!

> I noticed, however, that I cannot load any state files saved before the
> patch application (or even from previous versions), Paraview segfaulted
> each time. I did not investigate the matter any further but perhaps you
> could double check that there is no backward compatibility issue with older
> state files that do have opacity information.

The changes only affected shader code in the rendering engine, this
shouldn't make any difference in the ParaView state. Do they still segfault
in master without patching the files for the opacity fix?

In addition the peeling, regardless whether it’s the old or new
> implementation, takes significantly more time with parallel rendering than
> in the serial mode. Although, it’s expectable, the overhead is suspiciously
> high, I tried on 8 processes and a geometry which, in serial mode can be
> made opaque dynamically with no visible delay, took 34 seconds to be
> rendered. Most of the overhead comes from parallel distribution for
> compositing.

Was it 34 seconds for the initial frame, or for every frame? If the dataset
is large a longer first render would be expected as the data propagates.

Dave