I think there is still an issue building plugins via -DENABLE_paraviewpluginsexternal:BOOL=ON when building paraview-superbuild.

cmake ../paraview-superbuild -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release -DBUILD_TESTING=OFF -DENABLE_cxx11=ON -DENABLE_qt5=ON -DENABLE_boost:BOOL=ON -DENABLE_hdf5:BOOL=ON -DENABLE_zlib:BOOL=ON -DENABLE_png:BOOL=ON -Dsuperbuild_download_location=$HOME/code/cfsdepscache/paraview -DENABLE_paraviewpluginsexternal:BOOL=ON -Dparaview_PLUGINS_EXTERNAL:STRING=CFSReader -Dparaview_PLUGIN_CFSReader_PATH:PATH=$METABUILD/../plugins/CFSReader

results in the error

CMake Error at ~/code/cfs_paraview/plugins/CFSReader/CMakeLists.txt:43 (FIND_PACKAGE): By not providing "FindParaView.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "ParaView",
  but CMake did not find one.

Could not find a package configuration file provided by "ParaView" with any
  of the following names:

    ParaViewConfig.cmake
    paraview-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "ParaView" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "ParaView_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
"ParaView" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
  been installed.

And indeed ParaViewConfig.cmake does not exist yet in ParaView_DIR=~/code/cfs_paraview/metabuild/build/superbuild/paraview/build

It works when I do the cmake ../paraview-superbuild first without -DENABLE_paraviewpluginsexternal:BOOL=ON ...
and then a second time with (as shown above).

However, we want to build the paraview-superbuild with our plugin automatically (e.g. in our nightly builds) with an own cmake project where paraview-superbuild is an external project.

Do I something wrong? Is this a bug? Any hint on how to do a workaround?

Thanks!

Fabian