Hi Cynthia,
It is possible to change the reader. You'll need to compile ParaView from
source. The class you need to change is vtkNetCDFCFReader.
Probably you'll need an extra parameter to the reader that would be the
time unit. The time unit read from the file should overides this parameter.

You could also submit your changes back to VTK (most readers in ParaView
are actually part of VTK). This seems like something other people might
need.

Dan