I would recommend using xdmf (www.xdmf.org). It works well for large parallel datasets, and supports the same structures as vtk.

Chris

On 30 Nov 2017 10:13, a...@yandex.ru wrote:
Hi! I just finish my own CFD simulation on 256 processors. The program made graphics output in 2000 time points. So large number of outputs I need to prepare smooth animation. I use XML VTK ascii format. So I have now 2000 pvtu files and 2000*256=512000 vtu files. I have problems with such big number of files. Now I understand that may be it was not the best idea to use VTK format.

I have the one fixed unstructured grid with ~10^7 cells, about ten CFD variables on the cells and several thousands output points. My program is MPI parallel and output time points are irregular over time. So I'd like to keep value of time in the files (as I know it is impossible in the VTK format). And I'd like to use ParaView for the visualization.

What is the better format for storing big amount of CFD data that I be able to write in parallel and load in the ParaView?

Thank in advance!