> Ah Fred, that reminds me that the min. focus disctance at 1.7m
> makes the lens partly useless. I often get much closer than that.

Min focus distance is an annoying aspect of many lenses - for me,
it's not a constant annoyance, but only an occasional frustration,
but sometimes - depending on the situation, of course - a l-o-n-g
minimum focusing distance can rear its ugly head and "bite ya" -
<g>.

> It's primes for now then.

It's almost always "safer" to use a prime, when you can, I guess.
Still (in my humble opinion), zooms can have their place...

Fred