Hi all,

anyone know and/or use this zoom? I have found the following on:

http://medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html#tokina

--------
Tokina 28-85mm f/4 RMC and f/3.5-4.5 ATX

Tokina designed an RMC f/4 version of this lens which had a constant
aperture, unlike the later ATX variable aperture version. The RMC version
lacked the macro ability added to the later ATX version too. The ATX lens
had a 1:3.5 macro capability and was significantly lighter (17 1/2 ounces
versus 21 ounces) and slightly shorter (3 inches versus 3 1/2 inches).

One big advantage of the variable aperture ATX zoom is that it used much
smaller, lighter, and cheaper filters (62mm versus 72mm for the original
constant aperture f/4 zoom). This filter factor is quite important if that
new zoom means you have to run out and get all new filters for your new
bigger zoom lens. That constant aperture may be nice, but you may pay for it
twice, once for the lens and again for a new set of larger and expensive
filters!

On the other hand, the original constant aperture f/4 RMC zoom was probably
a bit better optically, and close-focused down to only 2 1/2 feet. And it
did have a constant aperture, albeit f/4. Not surprisingly, the older
optically superior lens is often significantly cheaper on the used third
party lens market.
--------

Perhaps it isn't up to Pentax zoom standards, but it sounds like a nice lens
to do candid work.

>From all the info I have gathered from you all and the web I'm still pretty
confused as to what zoom within say 24-105 is a good one. Do I really need
to go Pentax or, as some suggested, go Tamron or otherwise? I want to use
this zoom when quick reacting is required, ie where changing primes is out
of the question.

:-)

Paul Delcour