I had the same experience when I put took out an old HP and replaced it with
an AOpen 52X burner two weeks ago. No trouble at all. I use it with Nero and
it takes longer to set up the 'lead in' and 'out' than it takes to burn the
backups.

But there is a disadvantage; those drives get rather hot and wear out much
faster than the old ones. So I reduce the speed to 4X or 8X for reading and
playing music. And I write the CDs at 40X rather than 52X.

Don
Dr E D F Williams
http://personal.inet.fi/cool/don.williams
Author's Web Site and Photo Gallery