The belief that the second full moon in a calendar month is a "blue moon"
has *not* been around for six decades,  assuming that to be a reference
to the Maine Farmer's Almanac of 1937.  That stated (with no references,
and no easily discovered antecedents) that the fourth full moon in a
season was a "blue moon".  (That wouldn't be all that rare, of course,
but neither is a month containing two full moons).

This article was mis-interpreted (in a 1999 article in Sky & Telescope)
to support the popular belief of the second new moon in a calendar month.
A retraction was published a little later, but by then the damage was done.

AFAIK no reference to the "two moons in a calendar month" meaning has been
found in any source prior to 1985 - slightly less than two decades ago.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong, but I'd want to see some evidence.