Hi,

> Time to get into the fray.

> I have long disagreed with the concept that something is art simply because
> someone calls it art. The lady urinating in the bucket would be a good
> example of it. I'm slowly revising my position. People can call whatever
> they like art, but in the same sense I do not have to accept it as art
> simply because someone else declares that it is.

it is, in my opinion, even better to ignore the notion of art
altogether. Forget it. It's a painting, or a sculpture, or a
performance. Evaluate it in relation to other paintings, sculptures or
performances you're familiar with.

What difference does its status as art make to you, or to the work in
question, or to the painter, sculptor or performer, or indeed to
anyone or anything?

If the lady pissing in the bucket thinks it's art, what difference
does it make? If you think it's not art, what difference does it make?
She's still a lady pissing in a bucket, she (presumably) intends
somebody to interpret this in some way. Calling it art or not-art
makes no difference to anything, as far as I can see.

Confronting the Art Question is the most spectacularly irrelevant waste
of time that I can think of.

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]