Lampreys are fascinating organisms.  Apart from being (afaik) the only
four-eyed vertebrate, their body chemistry provides rich hunting grounds for
pharmaceutics.  Some are anadromous, some are not; some have a parasitic phase
of their life cycle, some do not.

As a child, I remember seeing "fields" of brook lampreys in streams, only the
upper parts of their bodies out of the gravel as they hunted passing
invertebrates in the current.

Used as a meat substitute here during Lent, due to the non-fishy taste of the
flesh, they were usually eaten in pies.

If I remember correctly, there was a Roman governor who enjoyed executing
people by having them thrown into his lamprey pool.

--
%(real_name)s Pentax-Discuss Mail List