An excellent morning indeed.  Good company, good weather and unlimited and
unexpurgated bitching.  What more could a chap want?  Although I don't remember
it was Doug we were calling a bastard...

Well done on finishing what is a tough route at the best of times.  About 20
years ago, a Russian friend turned up to do about 12 miles of it wearing a
blazer, slacks and ordinary shoes.  Because the weather was good and he was
used to walking in the taiga, real hard going.  Then the weather turned
argumentative.  Luckily I had foreseen this possibility from previous
conversations, so I had brought extra suitable clothing. He still looked like a
drowned rat at the end.