New Democrat Caucus
Communications
Phone: (250) 387-0094  Fax: (250) 387-4680

NEWS RELEASE

January 23, 1998

MULTILATERAL AGREEMENT ON INVESTMENT A DIRECT
THREAT TO BRITISH COLUMBIA AND CANADA

VICTORIA - NDP Caucus Chair Joan Smallwood warned the federal
government not to expect British Columbia to accept the Multilateral
Agreement on Investment (MAI).  Smallwood issued the warning at a
news conference today with Maude Barlow, the National Chair of the
Council of Canadians.

"The MAI is addressing many areas that are shared or exclusive provincial
jurisdiction," said Smallwood. "It is the BC Government's view that our
interests would be threatened by this agreement, so the federal government
should not assume that we will allow the MAI to be applied to BC."

BC and Canada already provide very high standards of investment
protection.  But the MAI will grant special rights to international investors
and place restrictions on democratically elected governments to act on
behalf of citizens at the local, provincial and federal levels.

An important concern for the province is that the agreement is unbalanced
and could challenge the government's ability to protect the environment,
manage and conserve natural resources, and leverage economic benefits
from corporations that exploit natural resources.  The MAI could also
threaten the integrity of existing health and social services, cultural
industries, and undermine the province's ability to create jobs.

"We don't need the MAI, and we want to convey to the federal government
in the strongest terms that the BC Government is opposed to this
agreement," said Smallwood.  "The MAI moves us way beyond NAFTA
and offers no adequate protection for the environment, workers or
consumers."

As closed door negotiations continue on the MAI, the province will
continue its efforts to facilitate a national dialogue on this important issue
facing British Columbians and Canadians. "Given the impact that the MAI
will have on our country, we demand that the federal government open
democratic debate on this issue in the House of Commons, and in all
regions of Canada," said Smallwood.

"It's obivious the Chretien Liberals are more concerned with catering to the
demands of foreign investors instead of listening to the citizens they are
supposed to represent," said Smallwood.  "This is like Brian Mulroney and
NAFTA all over again, only this time the stakes are much higher and the
results will be even worse."

                                - 30 -

Contact:
Chris Gainor, Director