Classical economics centers on man's mechanical response to inflexible economic
laws.
The concepts of William Stanley Jevons (English 1835-82, value determined by
ultility), Karl Menger (Austrian 1840-1921, marginal utlilty) and Leon Walras
(French 1834-1910 managed currency)  represented breakthroughs in the
development of economic theory, in rejecting cost-of-production theories of
value and in acknowledging
the significance of consumer's equilibrium at the point where the marginal
utilities of all commodities purchased are proportional to their price.

These innovative concepts has been described by some economists as purely
analytical and ideologically neutral and congruous with any political system.
Yet the replacement of the labor theory of value by a
subjective value theory can be precipitated primarily by ideological
motivations.

John A. Hobson (English 1858-1940, Imperialism) extended the marginalism
inherent to the subjective value theory to production theory.
Alfred Marshall (English 1842-1924, costs, value and distribution theories,
marginal utility) brought to a close within mainstream economics, the conflict
between the utility and cost theories of value, by visualizing cost of
production (the supply curve) and utility theories (the demand curve) as
component parts, each comparable to one blade of a pair of scissors. This
Marshallian synthesis quickly gained the stature of orthodoxy and formed the
foundation of neoclassical economics.

Economists like to think their theory as being scientific and value-free, with
a veneer of objectivity justified by rigorous and complex mathematics that is
at the heart of modern neoclassical economic orthodoxy.  They hold a
teleological vision of steady and continuous progress towards superior theory.
Yet the anti-working class prejudices of Jevons, Walras and Menger are obvious.

Joan Robinson (English 1903-83, imperfect competition) observed that "economics
itself (that is the subject as it is taught in universities and evening classes
and pronounced upon in leading articles) has always been partly a vehicle for
the ruling ideology of each period as well as partly a method of scientific
investigation."
Those who agree with Robinson are clearly more willing to admit the historical
specificity of economic theory. However, to some, the unfolding of mainstream
economic theory is merely new apology
replacing old apology which has become inoperative. It is like driving a car
looking at the rearview mirror.
The issue of the obsolescence of economic theories and policies focuses on
identifying agents with the power to make these economic theories and policies
inoperative and to precipitate intellectual crises that lead to the formulation
and adoption of new theories.  Since the Asian crisis, new mini theories have
been advanced by econmists every three months to catch up with events, each
reflecting the institutional bias of its sponsor.
Since capitalism is based on a social contradiction among classes, the  the
agency of change lies either in capital or the working class.  Yet systems have
been collpasing much too rapidly for this view to have validity.  The
development of economic theory, since the dawn of capitalism, has been a
process by which new policies based on theories designed to justify capitalist
society replace those which have been rendered obsolete in the dynamics of
class struggle.

While capital, confronted by crisis, regroups and restructures, its
theoreticians are hard at work developing new theories and strategic
initiatives to guide this process. If the working class is to defeat these
efforts, mere ideological critique is insufficient. It is imperative to fathom
the strategic nature of the innovations in theory. Once the strategies, goals
and vulnerabilities of the opponent are understood, we are less likely to be
sidetracked by trite academic debates and the task of defeating that opponent
becomes considerably less cumbersome.

E. K. Hunt  argues that "With the growth of the corporation as the principal
form of industrialization and the growing industrial
concentration.....there was an important change in both the nature of the
accumulation of industrial capital and the role of the industrial
capitalist.....Increasingly, corporate managers were hired to direct and
oversee industrial enterprises.....[and] profits and interest came to be a
result of passive ownership."
Consequently, Hunt contends that capitalists "needed a theory that sanctioned
their ownership and proclaimed the virtues of an exchange economy."

Modern advanced economics does not use traditional categories because the
division of national income among workers, landowners,
and capital owners is not a central issue for economists today.
The division of income is not to specific classes of people, but to the
resources owned by people.  This is another attempt to defuse the concept of
class struggle. In the latest textbooks, the term capitalism is not even used.
One cannot fight something that is no longer identifiable.
Yet the division of resource has major and radical implications for economic
policy. The taxing of wages and capital returns has a much different economic
impact than taxing land rent, albeit the impact is hot debated technically.
Henry George (American 1839-97 land economics - geoism) focused on the policy
of using land rent for public revenue.
Its seems to me, a user of economic theory, that economics needs a unifying
theory.

As to Jim observation that business and banks (often find the more "liberal"
versions of neoclassicism more useful), iy is interesting to note that Krugman
was the first economist to provide an overview of the Asian financial crises
that began in Thailand on July 2, 1997 to Citibank that it was no mere passing
shower.

Henry C. K. Liu