Ron,

>> I simple changed the backward slashes to forward slashes, thus forward
>> slashes everywhere.
>
> Which was what *I* intended to do with my patch, but after staring at
> it long enough, I realised that's not what *it* was saying!  :-)
> Ooops.

Oh, I see.  Sorry I didn't get this right.

That's ok!  No need to apologise.  I was only pointing out what I was
misunderstanding :-)

> Ron, would it be ok if you could check the patch to see if it works on
> Win32?  Thanks heaps in advance.

There's one piece missing:  You'd need to splitdir/catdir $directories
too, otherwise it's left as-is.

I have attached a modified patch, and prove-ed it works with r18945 on
Win32.

I couldn't get your patch to apply cleanly and so hacked it in by
hand.  I'm attaching a new patch to this email (which is quite
possibly identical to yours) so that you can give it a quick test.  If
all is happy, then I'll commit the change and close the ticket.

Thanks heaps for your help!

Paul