Be aware that you cannot use the verbose form of Emacs settings at
the beginning of a file, unless the file is shorter than 3000 bytes.
See Perl::Critic::Policy::Editor::RequireEmacsFileVariables policy
for more details:

So this means we need to put the emacs and vim settings at the end of
the file.  Vim sets a similar restriction in that its settings should
be in the first or last 5 lines.  The problem that I'm trying to solve
here is: how do we add the settings information to perl language files
such that it doesn't cause problems with __END__ and __DATA__ blocks,
is testable by perlcritic, emacs *and* vim pick up their settings
values, and it doesn't interfere with the visual structure of the
file.  I've hit a bit of a brick wall in trying to satisfy all these
conditions; any ideas as to how we can achieve this?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul