Hello,

yes - I had the same problem using dual xeon machines. The problem seems to be
related to the kernel that suffers from a lack of xeon cpu support. also the
intel compiler seems to get much faster binaries than the gcc does. I finally
skipped the whole xeon hardware for the use as postgresql database server.

regards,

-andreas

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 15:20, Wilson A. Galafassi Jr. wrote:
> Hello.
> I have this problem: i'm running the postgre 7.3 on a windows 2000 server
> with  P3 1GHZ DUAL/1gb ram with good performance. For best performance i
> have change the server for a  XEON 2.4/1gb ram and for  my suprise the
> performance decrease 80%. anybody have a similar experience? does exist any
> special configuration to postgre running on a Xeon processor? Any have any
> idea to help-me? Excuse-me my bad english. Very Thanks
> Wilson
> icq 77032308
> msn [EMAIL PROTECTED]

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster