Don Kelloway wrote:
I'm a first-time user with PostgreSQL so please forgive my ignorance.

I've purchased (and read) Practical PostgreSQL (O'Reilly) and PostgreSQL Essential Reference (New Riders). So far, so good. I think learning PostgreSQL will not be as difficult as I thought it would be. I've also been googling for the last few days, but I have a question in regards to determining the proper size of the buffer cache parameter.

Another good reference point is http://www.varlena.com/varlena/GeneralBits/Tidbits/perf.html

The only real way to find the best value is by testing different values against actual usage.

There's also a performance mailing list you might find useful. Archive available on the website.
--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd