On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 11:18 AM David G. Johnston
<david.g.johns...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I guess that's OK. I don't particularly favor that approach here but I
>> can live with it. I agree that too-wide views are annoying, but as far
>> as pg_stat_activity goes, that ship has pretty much sailed already,
>> and the same is true for a lot of other views. Inventing a one-off
>> solution for this particular case doesn't seem particularly warranted
>> to me but, again, I can live with it.
>
> I can see putting counts that people would want to use for statistics
> elsewhere but IIUC the whole purpose of "overflowed" is to inform someone
> that their session presently has degraded performance because it has created
> too many subtransactions.  Just because the "degraded" condition itself is
> rare doesn't mean the field "is my session degraded" is going to be seldom
> consulted.  In fact, I would rather think it is always briefly consulted to
> confirm it has the expected value of "false" (blank, IMO, don't show anything
> in that column unless it is exceptional) and the presence of a value there
> would draw attention to the desired fact that something is wrong and warrants
> further investigation.  The pg_stat_activity view seems like the perfect
> place to at least display that exception flag.

OK, thanks for voting. I take that as +1 for putting it in
pg_stat_activity proper, which is also my preferred approach.

However, a slight correction: it doesn't inform you that your session
has degraded performance. It informs you that your session may be
degrading everyone else's performance.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com