On 22/12/2022 06:50, Tom Lane wrote:
2. Iterative passes along the append_rel_list for replacing vars in the
translated_vars field. I can't grasp real necessity of passing all the
append_rel_list during flattening of an union all leaf subquery. No one
can reference this leaf, isn't it?

After thinking about that for awhile, I believe we can go further:
the containing_appendrel is actually the *only* part of the upper
query that needs to be adjusted.  So we could do something like
the attached.

This passes check-world, but I don't have quite enough confidence
in it to just commit it.
Thanks, I have written the letter because of some doubts too. But only one weak point I could imagine - if someday sql standard will be changed.
Your code looks better, than previous attempt.

--
regards,
Andrey Lepikhov