On Wed, 11 Jan 2023 at 13:11, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:

please, don't send top post replies -
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

Sorry about that; I do know to do it properly and usually get it right.
GMail doesn’t seem to have an option (that I can find) to leave no space at
the top and put my cursor at the bottom; it nudges pretty firmly in the
direction of top-posting. Thanks for the reminder.

> I don't think printing a few first rows is a good idea - usually there is
> nothing interesting (same is PL/Perl, PL/Python, ...)
>
> If the proposed feature can be generic, then this information should be
> stored somewhere in pg_language. Or we can redesign usage of prosrc and
> probin columns - but this can be a much more massive change.
>
>> <http://www.redpill-linpro.com/>

I’m looking for a quick win. So I think that means either drop the source
column entirely, or show single-line source values only and nothing or a
placeholder for anything that is more than one line, unless somebody comes
up with another suggestion. Originally I was thinking just to remove
entirely, but I’ve seen a couple of comments suggesting that people would
find it unfortunate if the source weren’t shown for internal/C functions,
so now I’m leaning towards showing single-line values only.

I agree that showing the first line or couple of lines isn't likely to be
very useful. The way I format my functions, the first line is always blank
anyway: I write the bodies like this:

$$
BEGIN
    …
END;
$$;

Even if somebody uses a different style, the first line is probably just
"BEGIN" or something equally formulaic.